Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help, please (Or, going to the mountain....)

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have 9 pounds of 98 cents per special need to cook by tomorrow
"Country Style Pork Shoulder Ribs bone in" which are big strips of meat not following any obvious planes with an odd bone in the middle of each. They are about 2" wide by two inches tall by 6-10 inches long
Any thoughts on cooking, oh wise ones?
Thanks,
KK
Oh by the way, I've been too busy to keep up with the list (Vic had his knee replaced...) but I can't not say something about the Foodsaver. I have a professional II which I love. It was pricey--over $300 list but I think but I got a deal, however it was worth every penny in any case. A year later things are still fresh and I have saved at least the cost in food which would have been thrown out. It should be a requirement for eggers to own one (assuming they make more food than they eat, which may be an erroneous assumption.) I have a little Compact II from my sister which does not seal bags easily and it sits on my counter for sealing things in jars: coffee beans, tomato sauce, snack food,whatever, as well as left over wine with the bottle stopper attachment. I haven't tried it on beer to see how well it holds the head, but then there never seems to be any beer left over.
The company has been very helpful and responsive as well...

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    KK,
    See www.dizzypigbbq.com and check out the recipe section for country ribs. I think about 4.5 hours to 5.0 hours 225 or so should do it. You can put your favorite rub on them, sauce them at the end if you like. But low and slow is the way to go.
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    KK,[p]this is more or less how I did them,,just last weekend, as fars cooking but I did indirect about 50 degress hotter than direct in recipe.[p]http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesCountryRibs.html[p]I also didn't have the DP rub so i pulled this from the submitted recipes[p]
    NB's Ginger Mahogany Ribs — Marinade/cooking
    Category: Ribs
    Group:
    Submitted by: Nature Boy capell@erols.com [p]

Caramelized ribs with ginger and stuff. A nice balance of sweet/spicy.
    Ingredients:
    • 2 Tbs Minced fesh ginger • 3 Tbs Soy Sauce
    • 3 Clove Garlic • 1 Tbs Rice Vinegar (or other vinegar)
    • 1 tsp Kosher Salt • 2 Tbs Rice Wine (or other wine)
    • 1 tsp Cracked Black Pepper (I used Tellicherry) • 1 Pinch Chinese 5-spice powder (STRONG!! use very little)
    • 1 tsp Mustard Seeds • 1 Cup Ginger Mahogany Ribs Finishing Sauce/See recipe
    • 1 Tbs Onion Powder • 2 Slabs Spare Ribs
    • ¼ tsp Cinnamon
    • 2 Tbs Oil (I used Sesame and Olive) [p]
    Preparation Directions:
    • With Mortar/Pestal pound the ginger, garlic, and kosher salt into a paste. Add mustard seeds and peppercorns and pound until worked into paste. Stir in remaining ingredients except finishing sauce. Pour over ribs in a ziplock bag, and massage all over meat. Marinate overnight if possible, or a few hours at room temp. [p]This isnt my favorite cut of pork but i think these turned out pretty well.[p]Scott[p]
  • Unknown
    Options
    KK,
    Thanks guys,
    (The DP photos make it hard to wait........)
    KK

• Rodan
    Rodan Posts: 32
    Options
    KK,
    I usually marinade for a few hrs. in:
    1/4 cup Dijon mustard
    2 Tbs red-wine vinegar
    1/2 cup olive oil
    2 Tbs dried summer savory, crumbled, or 3 tablespoons fresh summer savory, chopped fine
    2 Tbs water
    (Batch size varies with number of ribs.[p]I just grill them direct about 5-7 minutes per side. They turn out excellent. Or, if you prefer you can smoke them at a lower temp, however, I can't tell that much difference.