Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump Sale

Options
JasonATI
JasonATI Posts: 62
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Menards is having the Royal Oak in the green bags on sale, starting 5/16.

Comments

• Eggzellent
    Eggzellent Posts: 238
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up! ;)

Any opinions out there on this lump as compared to others readily available?
    I can obviously source BGE's brand; have a Hawaiian brand also available locally and one at D&W (food store here in Western Michigan).
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    Last year someone posted that and it turned out only the brichettes were on sale not the lump. I will keep an eye on the sale though, thanks for the heads up.
  • rosros
    rosros Posts: 408
    Options
    Definitely lump. $3.88 for 8.8lbs. Worth a try at those prices. Last few bags of RO Royal Star has only been small pieces. Bought some Kroger brand last week. Will also try the Menards.
  • JasonATI
    JasonATI Posts: 62
    Options
    Eggzellent, I've used three types and I can't tell a difference between the red bags from wal mart, the green bags from menards or the BGE from my dealer. I'm not an expert but the amount of large to small piece ratio seemed to be the same.
  • Eggzellent
    Eggzellent Posts: 238
    Options
    JasonATI wrote:
    Eggzellent, I've used three types and I can't tell a difference between the red bags from wal mart, the green bags from menards or the BGE from my dealer. I'm not an expert but the amount of large to small piece ratio seemed to be the same.

Thanks, Jason. I couldn't tell much difference between the three that I've tried either except that the Hawaiian stuff had some decent (full log) chunks and that the BGE brand seemed very consistent in both size/appearance. I believe that I need to either find the best lump available locally or start adding a lil' 'smoking wood' to up the flavor a bit.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Thanks Jason

I've been waiting/watching for this sale. Menards seems to do it about this time every year.

I'm stocking up later this evening.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    That sale must be on a regional basis as the Menard's 20 miles from me is having the sale but the one 2 miles from me is not! I thought those were all company owned stores, but I wonder if they are franchise operations. This isn't the first time I've seen subtle differences in the two stores - and yet the funny thing is both are less that 5 years old and identical in size and layout.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fontzmark
    fontzmark Posts: 28
    Options
    If you know a Sysco rep or someone how uses them you can get Royal Oak 20# bags of lump for about $11.00. I have been buying it for a couple of years, seems like a good deal to me.
  • Focker
    Options
    Ron,

The Menards 2 miles away should honor their price?

They also should have a copy of the ad or be able to look it up. Worst case, have them call the other location to check the price.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Thanks Brandon,

Actually I still have 630 pounds of lump in reserve and seeing that those green bags will stand out against the red bags and brown bags in the garage then Pat may notice and get on to my addiction of needing a reserve of lump FOR SURE!!! :laugh:

See ya June 5th!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Focker
    Options
    Only 630lbs :ohmy:

Your reserve is getting low, better stock up :silly:

Lookin' forward to Peoria B)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Scooby's Eggin again!
    Options
    Thanks for the tip! I just purchased 20 bags! That brings my reserve up to 410 pounds of lump. Thanks again!
    Rich