Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL Lump Lighting

Options
Inksmyth
Inksmyth Posts: 308
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When you light your XL for a long indirect low and slow, where do you light? Front, back, middle, multiple sites, etc....
Does this affect the dome temp? I would think if you light in back the low heat would tend to travel up along the dome and out. Would the temp be the same if the fire was in front under the thermo?

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    My XL is the only egg I don't use one starter cube right in the center on..I will use 2 cubes placed opposite each other about 1/2 way out from the center...I learned this by having the lump burn straight down through the center allowing cold air to come up through the hole..never had this happen on any other size egg...
  • TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    Options
    I light the XL in 3 place, 2, 6, and 10 o'clock just inside the outer edge. I keep them pretty small when starting for low and slows. I have had one spot go out on occasion but still have 2 spots going and have no problems keeping temps. As you can see there are varying thoughts and everyone uses what works for them. Mike
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    i use a propane torch. at 10 and two.. set the vents, put in the plate setter, grill and walk away for 20 minutes.

a watched pot never boils
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• rzrrob
    rzrrob Posts: 162
    Options
    i hit the front sides back and mid,,,i fell it gives i nice even burn