Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby back ribs are cooking, but have a question

Options
schmeetex
schmeetex Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got a large group coming over tonight for some BGE ribs and brats. I'm cooking 9 racks of baby backs and the first half have been on for almost 3 hours.

Question: what is your advice on finishing the first batch and then starting the second...or waiting to basically finish both batches at the end.

I've followed Car Wash Mike's recipe thus far, but I'm leaning towards foiling batch #1 (I've never done the 3-1-1 method)...and just leaving the ribs tightly wrapped in foil in an airtight portable cooler and let them "cook" on their own that way while I start batch #2 for 3 to 4 hours.

Any advice for how to get 9 racks of ribs ready while cooking them in two batches? I need to be done cooking in 8 hours.

Thanks,

SchmeeTex

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Holding the first batch in the "cooler" sounds like a good approach. The 3-1-1 method saves the last "1" for re-crisping and saucing (and BB's are usually more like 2.5,1,.5 i.e., a bit quicker than spares.) So, put the foil package in the cooler, and put bottles of really hot water in there too. You will want to keep the ribs above 140 F, and they will cool a lot quicker than a big hunk of butt.

Soon as the second batch are done, serve, and throw the 1st batch back on at a slightly higher temp. Glaze with pre-warmed sauce, and serve. I'd expect pretty good results.
  • Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Options
    Leave them in the cooler...pack some towels around them, they will be just fine. I have done this a ton of times and have always had good results. Remember to add something to the foil as well....a little Blue Bottle or some Apple Juice or Grape Juice...something sweet too....

-Kevin
    Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!