Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wet Egg

Options
Pot Licker
Pot Licker Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey people, I just finished licking off my fingers from grilled drumsticks coated with Billy Bob's BBQ, boy I sure love yard bird on the egg, but when I went and fired up the egg to an "Oh Boy that's Hot!" temp I noticed water beading up on the lid, I know it is cooking out of the pores in the ceramic, but a part of me has to scratch my head and wonder if this can be a bad thing. Anyone ever see this lead to disaster? Thanks

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Pot Licker,[p]Was it raining? [p]That doesn't make sense. The egg shell is water proof and water doesn't condense on hot objects. If the moisture is around the rim, maybe you have a leak and steam (from the food or wood chips or water inside the egg) is causing the beading.[p]Best of luck.
  • ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    Pot Licker,
    I've seen tiny droplets all over the shell a few times after letting the large sit a few weeks and then firing it up.
    It is moisture escaping out of the walls of the dome. This has happened to me on more than one occasion but its no big deal at all.
    I've had the BGE since this forum was new and it is still working fine. :)
    So, the long and short of it is, don't worry about it, it will happen whenever conditions are right but it is of no consequence to the cooker.
    later,
    ron.

• Eric
    Eric Posts: 83
    Options
    Pot Licker,
    I live in New Orleans and I experiece the same thing all the time.[p]Can't figure it out either but have never had it cause a problem.[p]I chalk it up to the high humidity here. When I do a high temp cook I can actualy get water to bead up and run down tthe side of the dome, just like a glass with ice on a hot day. I'm not a physics guy at all but this doesn't seem to pass the common sense test. [p]I just grab another beer and not worry about it.

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Pot Licker,
    As you can see it is a very serious problem. You need to send me your egg and all the accessories with it as soon as is possible to avoid any disasters.[p]:)

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Bobby-Q,[p]I have decided that this will be my response to every performance related question about eggs from now on. [p]Bravo, Bobby-Q.
  • Pot Licker
    Pot Licker Posts: 21
    Options
    Bobby-Q, I appreciate the offer but I would hate to see you get hurt. I better just keep it here, thanks for the offer though.
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Pot Licker,[p]Like Eric, "I'm no physics guy", but I think he's figured it out. Water condenses on a cold glass (on a hot day) because of the temperature differential between the inside and the outside of the glass.[p]In a high humidity environment like his (and yours?) the higher heat is on the inside, but the differential still causes water from the air to condense on the outside of the Egg.[p]This may be scientific "hooey", but it makes sense to me.[p]Ken