Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wild Ramps/Leeks

Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Someone will be sleeping on the downstairs couch tonight! :sick: :evil: :evil: :evil:
109-0995_IMG.jpg

For the uninformed, these will make you stink badly; your sweat, breath, everything. Good thing it's going to be warm here tonight, the wife'll be able to open the windows. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :evil: :evil:

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Can't wait to see this Mark!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Wish they grew here in Flforida. Would love to try this sauce.

Sauce, Ramp, Morel, Cognac Cream Sauce, Hoss's BBQ

This is a recipe for a ramp cognac cream sauce I made for a peppercorn crusted ribeye. You can substitiute the ramps with, mushrooms(really good with morels!)to make a mushroom cognac cream sauce. Cayenne in small amounts (a pinch) gives a cream sauce more depth.

INGREDIENTS:
    1/4 cup Chopped Ramps
    1 Clove Garlic Minced
    1 Clove Shallot Minced
    1 pint Heavy Cream
    1 Tbs Butter
    1/2 cup Cognac or Brandy
    1 Tsp Kosher Salt
    1 Tsp White Pepper
    tsp Cayenne

Preparation Directions:
    1 Have everything chopped and near by when you start.
    Cooking Directions:
    1 Melt butter in a hot saute pan
    2 Saute the garlic,shallots and ramps till soft
    3 Deglaze with Cognac.(carefully this will ignite!)
    4 Reduce the Cognac by half.
    5 Add the heavy cream and reduce till desired thickness
    6 Seasone with salt,pepper, and the cayenne
    7 Serve over steak or any other grilled or sauted meats
    Special Instructions:
    1 If using mushrooms add the mushrooms first let them cook for a while then add your garlic and shallots or else they will burn.

Recipe Type
    Sauce

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Hoss's BBQ, 2007/06/05

2010/04/22---Hoss's BBQ Hey everyone first off let me say I am sorry I have been closing at work the last week and I have not been very dillegent on my forum lurking!!! Thanks so much to Loco _Engr about his requests for my fresh morel cream sauce!! Also so much thanks to Wessb and Crimsongator (Gene ) for sending you to my site. My recipe is in the BGE Cookbook thanks to Ray Dr BBQ for giving me the word they wanted a recipe from me. In the original published form on my site it is a ramp cognac cream sauce. Ramps are a pungent! yet wonderful wild green oinion found in the appalachain (sp) mountains. Often when I worked at The Greenbrier resort friends and co workers would bring me wild edibles that they had foraged. Hence fresh Morels at Waldorf and ramps plus fresh Chanterals (sp). The sauce In the book and the website can be interchanged in terms of the use of ramps, morels, chantarels, crimini mushrooms etc. I am so glad to see everyone has enjoyed this recipe and all its variations. Thanks Hoss
  • Weekend Warrior
    Richard, thank you very much! :) That sounds awesome!! (even if you are a loney looney)
  • Richard Fl
    If you care to trade some of my spices for some of your ramps, I will try the sauce. Ramp up the Loney!!
  • Weekend Warrior
    pm me with your addy. I can't guarantee what kind of condition they'll arrive in though. They keep for weeks in the fridge, but a 3 or 4 day UPS ride in the heat will definately take it's toll.
  • Richard Fl
    You have mail. Maybe a ziploc or frozen cooler unit will help, OR we can do this for Christmas gift eggchange. hehe.
  • faithie999
    faithie999 Posts: 98
    i first learned about ramps when i chaperoned a high school mission trip to the mountains of WV a few years ago. my wife wasn't on the trip so i was able to eat them with reckless abandon! quite a treat. unfortunately we don't have them here in indiana.
  • I've never had them before and was looking forward to trying them sometime. Didn't know about the stink thing, though. Good luck tonight, maybe if you both eat them, it will be like garlic, and neither of you will smell it on the other.

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    I ran a sternwheel riverboat out of Charleston for six years. My boss was an old time coal operater that loved to party and loved everything West Virginia. Every spring he would host a ramp dinner for a hundred or so of his closest friends :P
    It would take us a week to get the smell out of the boat :woohoo: :ohmy: But they are good :lol:

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL