Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Hot Smoked Trout

Clay QClay Q Posts: 4,418
edited 10:59PM in EggHead Forum
One of the benefits of the egg is being able to cook fish just as well or better than my local restaurant.
Fish market had fresh trout just brought in this mornin so I snagged two for dinner. Keeping it simple I went indirect at 325 degrees dome with pecan chips. Seasoned with onion powder, salt and pepper. Inserted bay leaves and lemon wedges and I was ready to hot smoke.

BGEHotSmokedTrout0001.jpg

BGEHotSmokedTrout0008.jpg

I had to re-charge with pecan chips three times as the smoke subsided. I enjoyed the process. :)
BGEHotSmokedTrout0009.jpg

Fish done!
BGEHotSmokedTrout0011.jpg

Juicy, lightly smoked, flavorful rainbow trout with buttered wild rice. ;) Thanks to my egg!
BGEHotSmokedTrout0014.jpg
·

Comments

• SSN686SSN686 Posts: 2,972
    Morning Clay:

Beautiful looking fish! Gonna have to try a whole fish one of these days!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

website ---  http://mysite.verizon.net/respulq1/index.html

·
  • Clay QClay Q Posts: 4,418
    Thanks Jay! Always fun to cook with the head still on. :lol:
    ·
  • cookn bikercookn biker Posts: 13,400
    I know dang well that was a fantastic meal!! Great job Clay!!
    ·
  • BacchusBacchus Posts: 6,019
    Beautiful.
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 26,952
    Clay,

That looks really nice!

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    Nice Clay, see you guys at Eggwego in September. -RP
    ·
    Thanks Molly!

burrrrrrrrrp. :P
    ·
    Thanks. And we sipped chilled German Riesling to round out the dinner.
    Cheers!
    ·
    Thanks Steve!
    And I smell smokey, another benefit! :lol:
    ·
  • Car Wash MikeCar Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Looks good Clay, how does the Pecan compare to Alder for fish?

Mike
    ·
    Looking forward to the event! It's now like a family reunion only better...no relatives, ha ha ha ha.
    I'm gonna have you and Kim sign my BGE cook book. ;)
    ·
  • FiretruckFiretruck Posts: 2,676
    Nice job Clay, makes me want to go trout fishing :)
    ·
    Haven't used alder in a long time so I can't compare. Pecan has a light spice, a mellow smoke with toasted caramel flavor (by my taste) and is excellent with mild meats such as chicken, seafood and appetizers because the smoke flavor does not overpower as quickly as other woods.
    It's a great smokin wood in my opinion, a favorite of mine. :cheer:
    Thanks Mike.
    ·
    :laugh: I went fishing today with my wallet.
    Thanks!... And good luck fishing! :lol: ;)
    ·
  • thailandjohnthailandjohn Posts: 952
    WOW..Really looks good

I love to do trout. I buy them at Costco, good price, I cook the whole pack and what we don't eat, I like to mix with scrambled eggs...I also do this with salmon
    ·
    Trout with breakfast sounds good. I've had walleye for breakfast as a ritual when up North on fishing trips.
    Yeah, trout is a fun cook, especially with the heads still attached. :laugh:
    Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately for me, no fish left for tomorrows breakfast. It got eaten up.
    ·
  • mr toadmr toad Posts: 666
    nice work - beautiful photos

mr toad
    In dog Beers - I have had only one !
    ·
  • MaineggMainegg Posts: 7,787
    so simple and I bet so good!!
    ·
    Thanks. The trout was very much enjoyed.
    Have a great weekend sailing!
    ·
    Simple is good. Was a little labor intensive with removing the grid, adding more smoking chips, replacing grid,.. three times. But I enjoyed that. I enjoyed the entire cook, start to finish, and my reward was to sit down to a very nice Friday evening dinner. A fresh German Riesling (called 'Relax') with the dinner was also nice. ;)

I see there is a rush on making reservations at the Crown Royal Hotel for the next Sunshine State Eggfest! I'm in. :woohoo: :silly: :cheer:
    ·
  • Eggerman1Eggerman1 Posts: 154
    Looks great! How long did you smoke these?
    ·
    Thanks. I'm guessing here on the time to smoke because I went by thermapen as a guide, not time for determining when the trout was done. I'll say around 45 minutes for time. I think that's about right, could have been a few minutes more. I will suggest checking internal temp when hot smoking so you can pull it off in time so fish is not overdone. I took the trout to 155 internal at the backbone.
    It's a fun cook and makes an impressive dinner presentation. Especially as a whole fish. :)
    Good luck!
    ·