Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new gasket

Options
grillking
grillking Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well I fell in love with BGE and have had GREAT results cooking anything from a brisket to steaks. That is until I cooked a pizza. The pizza came out great but my gasket came off, I took the BGE up to 500 degrees and cooked the pizza at 450, I have only had the BGE for 3 weeks so why did the gasket burn off? What is the best gasket out there to replace it with? I saw a Nomex gasket, are they better than the original?

Comments

• boston_stoker
    boston_stoker Posts: 794
    Options
    Nomex is food safe and kits are sold by bge for it.

Some use Rutland, but it is fiberglass which is not exactly food safe.

Others use Cotronics, which are ceramic fibers. I do not know if it is considered food safe. Cotronics from what I understand are very high heat resistant.

Search forum for installation instructions. On youtube there is a good video too.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    That is a subject that has been discussed many times. I will tell you this I have two large eggs and one has the nomex gasket on it and the gasket on the other egg is virtually none. I do a lot of high temp cooks on both eggs and I do my low temp cooks on either egg. Although when I do over night cooks using my CyberQ II I use the egg with the nomex gasket it leaks less. :woohoo: Tim
  • grillking
    grillking Posts: 16
    Options
    So are you saying you dont need a gasket
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    I have been around this forum less than two years. Personally I like having a gasket if not for the cushion.

You can cook on your egg with out one.

The choice is up to you.

I suggest you read what has been debated and go from what you have learned. Tim :)
  • jball
    jball Posts: 63
    Options
    Hi Grillking and welcome. I just did eggsacty the same thing on my new egg so I called Bruce at BGE customer service and he sent me a Nomex gasket gratis. I had to buy the 3M spray adhesive they recommend and have not yet tried the install. As for the gasket debate, I think the cushioning effect of a gasket will come in handy at some point so I'm not going nekkid if you get what I'm sayin.

Jball
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    John, Be sure you shrink you new nomex gasket before glueing it on. Tim ;)
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    If your gasket just came off and was not damaged, use the 3M super 77 spary adhesive mentioned already and just glue it back on...nomex can withstand higher temps than the original, but if all that failed was the adhesive there's no need to replace the gasket...put the nomex on once you get to where your existing gasket wont seal enought to maintain low temp cooks..
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    I have gone through several gaskets (now have nomex) and each time did quite a few cooks when I was between gaskets. I could not tell any difference in cooking or temp control EXCEPT for shut down. Without the gasket it definitely takes longer to shut down the Egg and therefore used noticeably more lump. That is the only reason I got new gaskets. The cushioning is probably is probably good too.

Freddie
    League City, TX