Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grill temp or dome temp???

Options
sterw
sterw Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am doing pulled pork overnight. If there is a difference in grill temp (BGE digital two probe) and a calibrated BGE dome thermometer - what rules?

Comments

• 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Options
    Use either one. But pick one and stick with it knowing that at 250°F Dome you are about 225°F grid. Before your cook make sure you calibrate your dome thermometer. Put in boiling water, 212°F adjusted from sea level. There is a nut on the back of the thermometer to adjust it accurately.
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    For quick advice:
    On my Large BGE I am for 250 dome temp.. translates at 225 grate level approx. My Calibrated BGE Dome thermometer. I have a Maverick remote thermometer and have the probe which stays in the meat set to alarm at 190 degrees. I take the meat up and double wrap in foil and allow to rest for an hour in an ice chest. You can figure about 2 hours a pound give or take a few for boston butts... always go by temp not time right.
    I use plate setter with legs up with grate on top and catch pan below grate for drippings.
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    I believe the dome temp is much more stable where the grill temp can vary considerably because of the heat wash coming around the sides of the platesetter. I pull the BGE therm out and stick the Maverick therm in the hole and cook away.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    sterw, If I am smoking a butt with out a pit controlling device like you I let my egg cook at a dome temp of 250° to 275° that is where my egg will cook along with out going out. Keep in mind you can't simply walk away. You need to start with fresh lump and a cleaned out fire box filled up to the top of the fire ring. Then stabilize you egg and wait for the clean burn. Watch your cook for the first hour or so and check it every three hours. Tim

Time is not written in stone and you will get a feel for this. :)