Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Family & pot roast....

Options
SSN686
SSN686 Posts: 3,504
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Morning All:

What more could you ask for! EggHatter has been craving a pot roast with tators & carrots for a few weeks so she grabbed a 5# boneless roast a couple days ago. We had planned on having it tomorrow evening, but our son called today and asked if we wanted company tonight (you know grandparents can't turn down seeing the grandkids!), so since I was working from home today everything worked out just fine.

Here we have the roast all covered with DP Cow Lick...
S051410-01.jpg

Start out with DO on the spider to brown the roast...
S051410-03.jpg

Once it was browned all over, then put it on a platter, added a little more oil, somemore Cow Lick and about half an onion...
S051410-04.jpg

Onions all ready, changed to the other spider (one of Tom's original design) dropped the pizza stone on the spider and put the DO on three Egg feet, then back in went the roast and poured a couple of Newcastle Brown Ale's over it, then added some beef broth along with a few cloves of garlic...
S051410-05.jpg

After a couple hours I then added six cut up carrots and about 10 quartered red tators. After another 3 hours it was ready to come off the Egg...
S051410-09.jpg

Pulled the roast out in a couple of pieces since it broke apart, took the carrots & tators out (the leftover broth was delish) and here we have my plate...
S051410-11.jpg

Oh yeah, the family (grandkids)...first is Wesley enjoying a big bite of meat...
W051410-03.jpg

and Owen upset since he can't eat "big boy" food yet...
O051410-01.jpg

What more could you ask for!?

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Jay, you do nice work! Not only your cooks, which always look great, but each pic is well captioned. Even I could follow those directions! :lol:

Thanks!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SSN686
    Options
    Morning Michael:

Thank you kind sir! The captions will either cause more questions or answer them in advance :P !

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    And I also get a kick out of "Morning, Michael"! Dude, it's 9PM here! :lol:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SSN686
    Options
    Morning Michael:

It's morning somewhere! Also my outlook is that if it has been a rotten day, then I'll just "mentally" start the day over...thus its always morning to me!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    And you never even called me :angry: :(
    Gotta try the wifes recipe on the egg one day
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    :angry: you at least puree some of that delish meal for Owen!!
    looks way yummie!!
  • SSN686
    Options
    Morning Pat:

You always have a standing invite!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• SSN686
    Options
    Morning DOW:

I wanted to, but his mommy said we couldn't until he is at least 6 months old...only 3 more months to go!

Thanks!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Jay,

My kids were on solid food at four weeks. The screaming and crying were unbearable. Son#1 ate a full turkey dinner in October after being born at the end of April. Ate most of a leg. Great looking kids but I hate to see them go hungry. ;)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    :laugh: he sure looks older! mine got slipped some food earlier 'cause breast milk and cereal wasn't holdin' him!!
  • SSN686
    Options
    Morning Steven:

Owen's daddy by 6 months was eating whatever we had for dinner, pureed if necessary.

By the way Owen didn't go hungry...mommy gave him what he wanted ;) after she ate.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• SSN686
    Options
    Morning DOW:

He weighed 10# 7 oz at birth and a couple weeks ago at his 3 month check up was 13# 13 oz so he's doing pretty good!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    That's great Jay!! I could use some of that on this rainy day!!
    Thanks!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • SSN686
    Options
    Morning Molly:

Thanks! Sorry about the rain...only bright sun here today!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Awesome potroast! Can't go wrong with this classic meal. :cheer: The poor little guy...would big boy food in a blender have helped?
  • SSN686
    Options
    Morning Clay:

See my reply to DOW! Mommy wouldn't let us :(

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Morning Jay, I hope I learned from your post this evening. It looks wonderful. Tim :P
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    EGGZACTLY! IT gets no better than THAT!!!Great Job.BEAUTIFUL family! ;)
  • Sixfromtexas
    Options
    I have got to try this. Thanks for sharing.
  • SSN686
    Options
    Morning Tim:

Thanks! Only way I know how to cook is easy, I'm not a fan of hard work :laugh:

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• SSN686
    Options
    Morning Hoss:

Thanks...you know there is nothing better than family and good food!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• SSN686
    Options
    Morning Sixfromtexas:

Give it a shot...not difficult at all.

I see you're new to the forum...Welcome!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Unknown
    Options
    Looked so good, Jay, and the boys look like they'll grow up to be heartbreakers!