Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2nd cook - Pizzas

Quadzilla
Quadzilla Posts: 40
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got my egg this week and for my second cook I decided to try pizzas. I was warned to avoid high temp cooks this early on but, my desire to eat pizza stronger than my fear of frying my gaskets.

My results were far from great but, I learned a lot (I think)
28957_1447010620724_1396941720_3121.jpg
The Set up @ 550*

28957_1447010020709_1396941720_3121.jpg
1st pie - Chicken sausage, poblano peppers, mushrooms, fontina and mozzarella cheese

28957_1447010340717_1396941720_3121.jpg
Margherita style

28957_1447009380693_1396941720_3121.jpg
1st one done (if that's what you want to call it)

28957_1447008900681_1396941720_3121.jpg
2nd pizza done

Negatives;
1. Not enough cornmeal on peel. Had a horrible time moving pizzas on to the grill. Next time will just use parchment.
2. Didn't cook long enough. I was expecting about 10 minutes at 550*. They needed more time for sure.
3. Maybe I should have let the stone get hotter? I put pizzas on right when I hit 550*.
4. I think I need to get dough thinner.
4. fried my gaskets :( I was warned...

Positives-
1. No problem getting up to 550* and maintaining that temperature.
2. Didn't burn my place down
3. Still had fun!

Thanks to all experienced eggers who take the time to post pics, recipes and give advice to new people like me. This site has been such a huge help.

Thanks for taking a look.

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Eggselent eggsperement!! That is what it's all about!!
    Warm all you ceramics up and I would also say try higher temps. I, by no means, am an eggspert pizza. I believe that you need higher temps in that egg and a real good za dough. Check out Zippy's dough video.
    Keep onn cooking!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • misfit
    misfit Posts: 358
    Focus on the positives, learn from the negatives. Just about any pie off the Egg is a good pie, except for the one I dropped on the deck...
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    What a pretty white stone!! LOL I had some trouble with the peel also when I started and a tip that was given to me was to kind bang the peel against my hand to make sure the pizza was loose and would slide off. a little more corn meal and it will fall off if you are not careful. as your stone gets seasoned it will go on and off smoother and the thicker pies do take a little longer. and as for the gasket LOL of all my eggs I think on 2 have enough left that I would call it still a gasket.
  • Quadzilla
    Quadzilla Posts: 40
    Thanks for the tips everyone!
  • The crust looks a bit thick for my taste, but crust thickness is an entirely personal thing. 550 isn't hot enough to cook a relatively thick pie (with lots of toppings) in 10 min, especially if your stone hasn't preheated for a good, long time. For a thin-crust pie, I go as hot as possible (gasket? we don't need no stinkin' gaskets!) and it takes 4-6 minutes to cook the pies on a hot stone. Next go 'round, get the grill to the desired temp and hold it there for a while before cooking the 'za. And, make two smaller pies rather than one big one: simply because it gives you multiple chances to practice.
  • Judy's Egg
    Judy's Egg Posts: 104
    Parchment paper makes the transfer easier. I remove it after a few minutes. Also, I tried the same grill set up as you the last time I cooked pizza and did not like it. Going back to plate setter legs down, green egg feet, pizza stone. The pizza seemed to cook more evenly. Search the forum and you will find tons of great ideas for pizzas.