Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

185 temp

rzrrob
rzrrob Posts: 162
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
does anyone ever pull the boston butt at 185 I pulled mine last week at 190 and it sat in the cooler for 3 hours and it was good but I think it could of been a little bit more juicy

Comments

• it's never going to be truly "juicy" because you are cooking all the moisture out of it. the gelatin from the collagen breaking down will make it wet again, and give you good pulled-pork mouth feel.

but you really won't get juice (running moisture, like cutting into a steak or roast) because that's water, and the water is gone by the time PP falls apart.

fishlessman has injected a brine or flavors when internal temps were around 165, and then let it go until pullable (190-195, 200). that added moisture probably would give you what you are looking for.

i took it off the BGE once at 185 because i ran out of time, and it's pullable (barely), but it isn't any more moist. past 135-140, pork dries out quickly
  • rzrrob
    rzrrob Posts: 162
    that s sound good to inject around 165,,, does it help to inject before the cook atarts??
  • well. his whole idea is to wait until its 165 (I believe) so that the moisture is still there when it hits 200. basically it's replacing the moisture that cooked of earlier. i haven't done it myself
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    The idea is to inject during the plateau because the collagen rendering out draws the injection with it..

It is a trick I learned from my father-in-law, though he didn't know the science behind it. When he does whole hogs he doesn't inject them till he turns them on the grill. At that point they are deep into the plateau. What I noticed that no matter where he injected them the injection could be seen in the fat filling up the rib cavity. My father-in-law's pork is the standard I try to achieve.

I passed that trick on to fishless.. Good to know he's using it.
  • Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    I would disagree with that. We regularly cook ours to 198-202 for contests and have never dried them out, sometimes too moist. A lot has to do with how you cook it. We do not inject our butts either.

Kevin
    Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    I pull mine @ 200 and as I pull I add in a little apple juice/cider vinegar/worchester/eleven herbs & spices mixture, then let it rest a while. This is easy and has always worked for me. My guests go home happy and needing to buy new shirts! :P

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • i don't mean "dried out". i just mean you don't end up with the moisture like you do in a pork roast, fr example.

the collagen is responsible for a lot of what we perceive is the "moisture".
  • bayouegger
    bayouegger Posts: 287
    "It is hot in Suez"
  • John has a long moustache
  • bayouegger
    "Molasses tomorrow will bring forth cognac"
  • The Trojan War will not be held
  • bayouegger
    "To my son - I tell him I will see him again soon. To keep his heels down while riding his horse. To my wife... that is not your business."