Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Duraflame fire start.

Options
BarBQBud
BarBQBud Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am a new user and I have noticed several posts about igniting charcoal. May i submit my method?

My LBGE came with a pack of little square fire starters that worked great, but seemed a bit expensive to me.

I had several Duraflame fire start bricks from use in my fireplace and decided to try them.

After a few tries, I found the optimum use for me was to cut a piece about the size of my thumb from the 7 oz brick. You can also sqeeze together the crumbs that fall off in the cutting. That gives about 10 or 12 starters per brick, making the cost about a dime or so each.

Teepee or pyramid your lump on top on one and you'll have hot charcoal in 10 to 15 minutes.

Have a good weekend.

Comments

• Austin Egger
    Austin Egger Posts: 256
    Options
    I'm a new egger as well and I'm trying to find a different method other than the square fire starters. I might try your way. Has anyone used the electric one by BGE? It looks like I can pick one up for around $25, but I just want to make sure that it lights the coal quickly. Trying to find the quickest, cheapest method for lighting. Do the Mapp torches work really good? I've seen a couple of posts of people talking about them.
  • thailandjohn
    thailandjohn Posts: 952
    Options
    Bingo!!!

Even better is to buy the large Duraflame logs and break off small pieces just like you said, about the size of a quarter...One log will start many fires

I use small chunks (2 0r 3) of the Duraflame to start my fireplace fires
  • 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Options
    There have been some posts on using "alternative" firestarters, pine straw, duraflame etc. I tried egg cartons filled with dryer lint and used candle wax. They work great but I didn't like the scent. They would be better for campfires.

A forum member posted a link to Harbor Frieght Tools and a propane torch, aka weed burner. It was $19.99 and a bargain. They are only $24.00 at regular price. I bought eye protection and have never looked back. I don't have to wonder if the lump is piled just right on the firestarter or if it will catch. 15-20 seconds in one spot and I know I am lit. Great convenience, even in a wind with rain coming sideways.
  • Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
    Options
    yep. they'll work too.

you can also buy a regular firelog. early on i bought one off-season for about 2 bucks. took off the paper, and let it sit outside on a hot day. then i just chunked it into bits with a flathead screwdriver. filled two i-gallon bags. they are paraffin and sawdust too.

like firsterters, thjough, they need a lot of air to keep going. if they snuff out while lighting the egg, they will smoke like crazy. you want them to fully burn off before you start cooking.
  • Austin Egger
    Austin Egger Posts: 256
    Options
    Does anyone use the electric BGE starter? If so, does it work good and pretty fast?
  • Scooby's Eggin again!
    Options
    I have one and do like it very much. About 6-7 min and you have it started. You just have to pay attention to it. Tried a few other methods but the electric I like so far the best. I have done 3 overnight cooks with no problems with it. Good luck with whatever method you use.

Rich
  • Jasper
    Jasper Posts: 378
    Options
    I don't have one but someone who does told me it takes about 5-8 minutes to light up get going.

I've tried starter cubes, paraffin wax chunks, chimney starter, rubbing alcohol, oiled paper towels and a MAPP torch. I have to say the MAPP torch works the best and fastest for me. Haven't looked back since.
  • 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Options
    The common complaint among users is that they don't last much past a year. Turn it on and forget it and they may not last that long. I haven't owned one so this is merely hearsay.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Ace hardwared sells "Rutland" brand starter cubes which look and perform similarly to the BGE Cubes ... :whistle: They come in a box of 144 for about $10-$12.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    they don't stand up for long and im not big on using things electric on rainy days and i do light the egg on rainy days. if you have a propane tank from an old grill, you cant beat a harbor freight weed burner, they are inexpensive, fast, and last many many years. the duraflame logs are handy, so is just napkin and oil, i sue all those methods
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I use an electric starter from Wal-mart. I give about $10. for it and it lites the lump in a short time. Keep in mind I have in the past received an important phone call while I was using one and forgot all about it and the thing caught on fire inside the egg and burned up and tripped the breaker in the house. Like anything else you should pay attention or you could burn you house down. Just my .02 cents. Tim

000_1235.jpg

000_1233.jpg
  • NotabuttDave
    NotabuttDave Posts: 181
    Options
    Do it Best also sell the starters. The box is identical to the BGE box, but 1/2 the price.
  • field hand
    field hand Posts: 420
    Options
    I use one and like it. Can't comment on the "limited life", mines not a year old yet. I usually leave mine on about 10 minutes, remove it, close the lid and wait for the desired temp. Would caution you about leaving it on too long, left mine for about 20 minutes (forgot about it), and it tripped a GFI. Guess it got too hot and drew too much current. Otherwise, I've had good luck. It's not the fastest, but gets the job done.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
    Options
    leaving it too long runs the risk of melting it in the egg, too, which has happened.

i once dropped my butane lighter (those long, triggered ones) in the egg somehow. cooked on it and everything. never blew up. found it the next day melted completely, nothing but the metal bits.

blamed it on the gin
  • Smokindoc
    Smokindoc Posts: 8
    Options
    Mapp works great. But buy the one with the extension tube. More fun than any other method I've tried for sure!