Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grid Temp vs Dome Temp

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, how does a lay-person tell the difference between grill temp and dome temp? Obviously, my dome therm works for the dome temp, but is this significantly different than the temp at the food's level, and how would I measure that?[p]Another temp question:
Last night I grilled chicken breasts (thanks for the suggestions to those who offered them). I waited 'til my dome got to 400, put the chicken on just so, and by the time I got the lid closed again, the temp had dropped to 325. Slowly creeped back up, but when I opened again to flip the bird, it again dropped. It never really hit 400 again before I took the the chicken after 20 mins total cook time. So my question is, "At what what temperature was I cooking? Would it be accurate to say I was cooking at 400 degrees dome temp? I read all y'alls posts and the temps seem so precise ("Cook at 375 then bumop up to 425 for the last 15 mins" etc.). Perhaps I should have adjusted vents once it dropped until it reached 400 again, but that seems like a lot of trouble.[p]I'm still having fun learning, but if y'all can sharpen the learning curve, all the better.[p]For those interested, the Chicken was great with 2 hr marinade of Sesame oil, Balsamic Vinegar, and Willingham's Original.

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    You are probably gonna get lots of responses about how to measure the difference. It really doesn't make much difference unless you just want to know. I'm from the K.I.S.S. school. Keep it simple, stupid. Learn to cook using just the dome temp and don't worry about it. If you weren't happy with your chicken from last cook, adjust your dome temp up or down accordingly.[p]Frosty Ones!
    Jim

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Newgene,
    Well if you want the temp at the grid, you'll have to put a thermometer there. An oven thermometer would give you an inaccurate ball park range, a polder type probe thermometer could go there for a short amount of time before it might encounter problems from the sustained heat, or you can just go by most recipes until you get a feel for stuff for yourself. Most recipes will tell you temps in dome temps, because that is the lowest common denominator.[p]As to the temperature drops, well when you open the lid you let all the hot air out and the new cool air has to be reheated to change the temperature in the dome. The temperature at the grid is not going to change as much I wouldn't think. Most things I have seen and noticed myself indicate about 40 to 50 degrees difference between dome and grid, with the dome being hotter. (unless you have just opened the lid)[p]
    Most important question....was the chicken good?

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Yea, what JSlot said.

• Smoked Signals
    Options
    Newgene,
    Did you let it stablize at 400 for 15 or 20 minutes before you put on the chicken? If you did, it should heat soak the ceramic and help maintain the temperature during openings and closeings. Think of it as warming up the oven for baking ... you want to have even temps so you pre-heat the oven. Same kind of thing with the egg.[p]On my medium egg temperatures indirect (w/ platesetter) varies but is ususally about 20 degrees different between dome and grid (lower). I have never taken my eggs temp in 2 places with a direct flame. My digital probes only go to about 350 and I'm afraid I will cook them. [p]Try a low and slow (230-240 dome) whole bird with just a little bit of smoke ... mmm mmm good. I cook mine until the digital reads 180 in the bird. [p]Doug

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Bobby-Q,
    I pretty much fall in the stupid category myself. I agree with Jim.[p]Mike

• Unknown
    Options
    Bobby-Q,
    Chicken was Delicious! Thanks for asking, and thanks for the info. [p]So when people say "cook at 400 degrees" they are likely talking dome temps then I would assume. [p]It really surprises me that they would be that different. I do realize heat rises and all, but seems like the air should be circulating in there well enough to have a more consistent temperature throughout. Maybe more so the case when cooking indirect, huh?

• Unknown
    Options
    Smoked Signals,
    Good point, I do remember reading that somewhere now. I was just excited to start cooking and I threw it on right when it finally reached 400.

• Love Handles
    Love Handles Posts: 253
    Options
    JSlot,
    Jims got the right idea. I always use my dome temp .I even attach my guru probe to the dome temp unit. Just the way I learned on the egg, and so far so good. See-Yaa

• StubbyQ
    StubbyQ Posts: 156
    Options
    The temp differences between the dome and grill can vary as much as 50°-100°. [p]I have my BBQ Guru probe clipped to the end of the meat probe, so it's controlling the pit where the meat is actually cooking. If you don't have a BBQ Guru subtract about 50°-75° from the dome temp for estimated grill temp. [p]I know when I first started with Egg I thought I was cooking 225° when I was actually cooking at 175°. When I got Guru it was quick to point the large difference between dome and grill.