Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Help Please

Options
PackerFan
PackerFan Posts: 72
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello,[p]I just tried my first brisket on the egg. It was 9.6 lbs and went on at 9:00 last night. It is now 10:30 AM and my internal is 203. I cooked it at 250 dome all night. Is it done? I thought the temp was a little high. I stuck a fork in it and I can twist but I have to apply pressure to do so. This was suppose to be dinner so if I wrap and put in cooler how long will it hold?[p]Thanks,
Kenny

Comments

• StubbyQ
    StubbyQ Posts: 156
    Options
    Wow, it's over done for me. I only go to 185° internal. It's proably fine. Pull it and wrap in towels and place in an ice chest. It will hold temp for quite a while.
  • UnConundrum
    UnConundrum Posts: 536
    Options
    StubbyQ,
    Wrap it in foil before you wrap it in towels, or you'll have a mess on your hands.....

• StubbyQ
    Options
    OK. I can't remember everything. Takes all night to do what I used to do all night now.
  • PackerFan
    PackerFan Posts: 72
    Options
    StubbyQ,[p]Thanks for the reply. I pulled the brisket and wrapped in foil, then towels and put in cooler. I cut the point off and put it back on smoker. Just cut up burnt ends and put in my beans. How long will the brisket hold in the cooler? I took it off at 11:00. It is 2:00 now and we were going to eat at about 5:00. Is this safe? Should I put it in oven at 150 or so for awhile?[p]Thanks,
    Kenny[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    PackerFan,
    I would bet that I will still be hot around 5:00. Just don't open the lid if you don't have to. My main concern would be in regards to the 203 temp. You might have dried it out. If that is the case, then be prepared to rehydrate that puppy. Some of the juices from the foil or beef broth or something. You will know if when you slice it, you can see the moisture disappear before your very eyes...[p]Good luck with it, and let us know what the outcome is/was
    Matt.

• StubbyQ
    Options
    It should last unil then. If it drops below 140° it's a problem, maybe but you should be fine. Next time shoot for 185° internal. Anything over that tends to be overcooked and dries out quickly when after you slice it.