Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chili Recipes for Dogs and Burgers Needed

WooDoggies
WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey yall, I'm looking for Chili recipes specifically suited for dogs and burgers... the dense and meaty kind that will hold together in a bun with no beans.

There was one recipe posted years ago for an Atlanta style chili.... possibly posted by YB or djm5x9?.... possibly Varsity chili recipe? Can't find it anywhere.

I have Stogie's Chili Dog recipes from Oct. 2002 but I'm looking for more of a simple Southern-style chili.

Growing up in NC, chili-slaw dogs and chili-slaw burgers were a big part of my diet and I'd like to recreate those up here in MD.... thanks!

john

Comments

• Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Hopefully you have e-mail.
    Tom
  • What time is dinner? I'll be right up!
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    This was posted a few weeks ago by RRP:

Chili Dogs Sauce

JimW,
    Here's the best I've found so far:
    1 pound ground chuck
    1 3/4 cups water
    2 tablespoons chile powder
    2 teaspoons paprika
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/2 teaspoon cumin
    1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
    1 teaspoon granulated onion
    2 teaspoons salt
    1 dash tobasco sauce

Put water and all ingredients except meat into saucepan and stir well. Add meat, breaking it up with your fingers as you go. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and leave uncovered until nearly all water is gone and the consistency is the way you like it. This is just about as good as the chili at the Varsity here in Atlanta. They make great chili dogs!

Regards,
    Chuck Lane
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    How does it come out? I read the recipe. Looks good. Does it have a kick at all.What does putting the meat in the freezer and then the food processor do?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    LOL - you beat me at my own game! Thanks!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    John, here's "Chuck's" from the recipe section..I have personally never tried it but I know many on here have and seemed to all like it.....Hope all is well my friend..

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_recipes&Itemid=71&func=detail&id=408
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Hey Ron, thanks for posting the recipe!
    I've made it twice already and everyone likes it.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Mark0525
    Thanks Wess, I think I will try that one this weekend. I appreciate your help like always :)
  • boston_stoker
    boston_stoker Posts: 794
    I have a great recipe that has won our office chili cookoff in Texas several years in a row. The winner gets an entry in the Houston Rodeo Chili Cookoff.

I will post it later this weekend.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    There is nothing better for a hangover than a Varisty Chili Dog, a tall glass of Coke on ice, with a Goody's powder.
  • Mark0525
    John, Look what you started. Now I'm running out to get some chili dogs. So much for watching what I eat :)
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Have not tried that recipe yet. I grew up in Detroit and love the chili that the coney island hot dog places use. I find it very unique in flavor. I think freezing it make it ground up softer. Just a guess. It is a smooth texture chili. I order a brick of it every couple years. Been doing it for 30 years since moving to FL. Here is a pic. If you want more info, let me know.
    goodconeypic-1.jpg
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    i like the rhode island style with the allspice in it, never had what your talking about with coleslaw on it. chuck lanes is the one that used to be posted about the most. the big trick isnt to brown the meat first with hot dog chilis, put it right into cold water and start smashing the burger as it heats up with a potato masher
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • WooDoggies
    Thanks, Tom. Now you have email. :~)

john
  • WooDoggies
    Not sure.... sometime next week. Will let you know ahead of time so you can plan the drive.

john
  • WooDoggies
    Thank you for the link! The recipe looks delicious and very close to the flavor profile I'm look for. Cheers!

john
  • WooDoggies
    That's one of the recipe I remember! Many thanks to you and Ron for posting it.

john
  • WooDoggies
    Hey Wess! That's the recipe I remember floating around this board. It's been so long since I made it, I don't remember how it turned out. Nice thing is it's a simple enough recipe that it can easily be tweeked to taste.

All is well and very, very busy here.... thanks for asking. Sorry to miss yall down in Waldorf this year. It was the first eggfest I've missed since 2002..... oh well.

My regards to your lovely sidekick.

john
  • WooDoggies
    If you don't mind posting your recipe, I'd love to see it.... always looking for a good bowl of red!

john
  • WooDoggies
    I should own stock in Goody's Powders.... saved my arse more than a few times.... I tell you what.

john
  • WooDoggies
    Let me know what chili recipe you decide on and how it all turned out.
    If you're feeling adventurous, along with the chili, add ice cold mayo based slaw (homemade not the store bought stuff) and top it all off with fresh chopped Spanish or vidalia onion.... awesome combination of flavor and textures. Works great on both dogs and burgers.

john
  • WooDoggies
    If you come across a Rhode Island style chili recipe, please pass it on. I'd imagine, though, you'd have to go very light with the allspice.

Adding raw meat to the liquid does seem counter-intuitive but if that's what they say to do it...

Give the slaw, chili, onion combination a try... nothing short of stellar!

john
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    when i make a heavey italian meat sauce i do both, some in cold with the cold sauce, some browned. it makes the meat fall apart without the chunks like you would want in a real bowl of chili. the second recipe is the one i like in the link for ingrediants, ive never made it the same twice but its the recipe i use. with chili sauces i like the dog fried, either lightly in butter or tossed in a deep fryer.

http://www.pagesintime.com/ri/nys-recipes.html

2005231234.jpg

2005232506.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Let me know who it tastes. If it is even close to Detroit chili you will like it.
  • WooDoggies
    Thanks for passing that nugget of info along for your Italian sauce. I've never tried doing it that way and will be curious to see how it changes the texture of the overall sauce.
    And thanks for the link to the RI recipes. That 2nd recipe looks like it will make a flavorful sauce.

By the way... Those dogs of yours look really, really good!

john
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    You two are killing me. A good store, out of the way home has Prime NY Strips for $9.99/lb. I'm watching this chili sauce simmer for the last 30 minutes. :laugh: Tube steak tonight, prime this weekend.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Petunia
    Petunia Posts: 110
    Just wanted to add my recipe to the pot.

Old-Fashioned Coney Island Sauce

1 lb ground beef
    1 medium onion chopped
    3 tbsp chili powder
    1 tsp salt
    3/4 tsp oregano
    3/4 tsp cumin powder
    3/4 tsp red pepper flakes
    2 c water
    small can tomato sauce

Brown beef and onion. Drain. Add seasonings and mix well. Add water and simmer for at least one hour. Before serving add tomato sauce and heat through.

Like any chili gets better with each reheating. Also freezes well.
    500 Posts: 3,177
    If I were to make chili for a coney dog, it would have to be Cincinnati style chili;
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cincinnati-Chili-I/Detail.aspx
    I lived in Cincinnati for 10 years. I love Skyline Chili.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    :S :S :S and I get yelled at for putting beans in my chili!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.