Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sausages question; Kielbasa, Italian, and Brats

500 Posts: 3,177
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I bought some good Kielbasa and Italian Sausages from a local butcher. Gonna get some Brats from Kroger later. Planning on a 300* raised rig direct cook with some apple and hickory for smoke. Will the extra smoke OVERSMOKE the already cooked and smoked kielbasa?
I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    No, it will make them better! :P
    Cool. I searched and didn't find anything. But I did find that Eggers were splitting them so they won't burst open. I think that is wrong. I try to cook them slow enough so they don't split and loose all that juicy goodness. I have to keep an eye on them turning frequently.
    Member since 2009
  • NotabuttDave
    NotabuttDave Posts: 181
    I'm interrested in what you find out.

Last summer, I tried a variety of Mets, Brats and Hot Links.

I couldn't get them to retain their juice.

I even boiled them in beer and onions at the suggestion of a friend who is a meat salesman.

I was using my trusty smoker.

However, this was before the grill gods blessed me with my Large BGE!
  • Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    What is the typical temp to cook, dogs, sausage, brats, burgers...etc on the egg. We are just getting into the grilling seasons for those items and it seems like it's a different type of cooking that I've been doing on the egg. Thanks
    Mark
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
    http://ruhlman.com/2010/05/how-to-cook-a-sausage.html

Timely post...just posted moments ago, from the author of Charcuterie...he just forgot step one: buy an egg.
    I do my sausages raised direct at relatively low heat...maybe 350?

For burgers, I got higher heat. Maybe 500-ish?
  • Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    Great article, Thanks Ben
    After I reviewed my cooking log, I discovered that the last time I did brats, last June, I cooked them indirect with the plate setter at 300*. They took about 45 minutes. My goal was an internal temp of 155 to 160. I used 2 small chunks of hickory. I think boiling will burst the skins releasing the juices into the cooking water. I've read that if you do want to, give them a hot tub in a good dark beer and onions, but simmer, do not boil, cooking halfway through, then cook on the grid to crisp the skins. I've done that before, but I like the taste of them better from my above method. I cook onions and peppers on the side for toppings with toasted buns and spicy mustard. This time, I'm offering a curry sauce for dipping with cut up brats. I found the recipe while researching brats. Here it is;

CURRY SAUCE FOR CURRYWURST

Ingredients:
    1 Tablespoon margarine or oil
    2 Tablespoons FINELY minced onion
    2-4 Tablespoons good quality curry powder (I use 3 Tbsp)
    1/2 to 1 Tablespoon SWEET Hungarian paprika (I use 3/4 Tbsp)
    2 cups good quality ketchup (I use Heinz)
    1 cup water
    Directions:
    Sauté the onion in the margarine or oil until it is transparent (DO
    NOT BROWN). Add curry powder and paprika to onions and quickly sauté
    just to bring out the flavor, then add the ketchup and water. Simmer
    uncovered until the sauce is the thickness you desire. Taste and
    adjust seasonings if desired. Serve over Bratwurst or Rindswurst*
    with an extra sprinkling of curry powder.

Currywurst is a popular street vendor item in Berlin, Germany much like a hot dog cart is in America. It's usually served with french fries.
    Member since 2009
  • Smokindoc
    Smokindoc Posts: 8
    I start by sauteing onion and garlic then pour in 2 cans of beer. Gently boil the brats until the color changes.

Egg @ 400 direct until good and dark turning frequently. I used to puncture 6-8 places with a knife tip to prevent flare ups on the weber, but I've found it's not necessary on the egg.

Some place the boiled mixture in a foil pan on the grill and return the brats to the beer when grilling is done, but I haven't tried that yet. Proably good for keeping them warm if you can't serve immediately.
    NotabuttDave wrote:
    I'm interrested in what you find out.

Last summer, I tried a variety of Mets, Brats and Hot Links.

I couldn't get them to retain their juice.

I even boiled them in beer and onions at the suggestion of a friend who is a meat salesman.

I was using my trusty smoker.

However, this was before the grill gods blessed me with my Large BGE!

My sausage cook was a success. The kielbasa, Italian sausage, and brats were all good, but I think the kielbasa had the best flavor. I also made moink balls for an appetizer, which were a hit as well. I overcooked the brats by a little but they still "popped" in people's mouths when they bit into them. Again, it was indirect with the plate setter, two small chunks of hickory, at 300 degrees, for about 45 minutes, pulling them off at 155 internal temperature. I toasted buns on the gasser, grilled onions and green peppers on the gasser, and also made a German style Curry Sauce for a brat sauce. With beer, pasta salad, and corn on the corn, and roasted marshmallows it was a good meal. Too busy eating to take pictures.
    Member since 2009