Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pineapple upside down cake

Options
Rolling Egg
Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After seeing Jasper cook one of these the other day I had to take a go at it. This was also the first cake I've done on the egg. I didn't get any pics on the egg because of trying to entertain company. If you haven't cooked a cake on your egg yet you need to go for it. When you have people standing around the egg and you come out with cake mixes, you start getting some attention. I went exactly by the directions on the link. I dont personally know this lady (I'm sure some of you do) but her name is Colleen and this is her recipe. If any of you know her, let her know it was a huge hit at my house and thanks for the recipe!
http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=881593&catid=1#

IMG_7106.jpg

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    SCHWEET!!!You did her proud! ;)
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Colleen is Lake Conroe Egger's wife. She cooked one at the Texas Eggfest. It was better than any I've ever tasted.

Spring "Downside Up" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • LImp Brisket
    LImp Brisket Posts: 115
    Options
    Does baking in the egg give it a sort of smoke taste, and would you ever bake something with a little bit of wood chips? I was thinking apple pie with a hint of apple smoke.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    From what I've read most folks do'nt use woodchips for desert bakin.Some do with soup,stew,chili,etc.I suggest use plain lump after it has burned A WHILE before bakin bread or desserts.JM.$.02. :)
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Hoss is right about cooking desserts and breads, and anything else that does not require a smoke flavor.

Good lump will give off a subtle flavor of its own that just adds to whatever flavors are already there.

For example, from time to time we will throw on a DiGiorno pizza. Cooked in a regular oven it has a very distinct and unappealing "frozen pizza" taste, but when cooked on the Egg it takes on a totally new flavor, one that comes close to what you would get from a wood fired pizza oven.

I learned quickly that 'smoke' is not desirable in all foods. In fact, it can greatly deminish the natural flavors of some foods and overwhelm other foods. For example, chicken and turkey absorbs smoke more quickly than other meats and can ruin the more desirable natural chicken flavor.

My suggestion is to cook all food on the Egg without smoking wood unless you specifically want to achieve a smokey flavor.

Spring "My Clothes Smell Smokey" Chicken
  • Rolling Egg
    Options
    I agree with what's already been said. This cake was cooked with no smoking wood what so ever. I even used fresh lump because my previous cook I had used cherry wood and I wanted to make sure I didn't get any leftover smoke in the old lump. It had a great taste. It's wierd but like Chicken said, it had a very very light taste but it wasn't a smoky taste. It was more of the brick oven tatse. This was also the way I cooked the pizzas I had a couple days ago. Have a good day.
  • Jasper
    Jasper Posts: 378
    Options
    Great cake isn't it? I couldn't believe how simple it is to make and how well it turns out.
  • Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    Options
    Look amazing, but man that recipe is a heart stopper. A full cup of butter, geeez.
  • Lake Conroe Egger
    Options
    When we cooked this at the Texas fest I had already done three cooks with wood chunks so I added a bit more coal and let the egg burn off for about an hour before baking the cake.

Colleen said to pass on a big thank you for all nice comments.
  • Big George's BBQ
    Big George's BBQ Posts: 1,152
    Options
    That looks wonderful. I love pineapple upside down cake. It is my wifes favrite
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Looks terrific! One of my favorite cakes and I'll have to use pecans on my next one. Thanks!
  • MrsHornfanatic
    Options
    YEAH!! I'm so happy to now have this recipe! We were at the Texas Eggfest and Colleen is just wonderful, as is her cake!! I've been thinking about this cake ever since. I missed it when she posted it so I'm glad you sent out a post about it!!!
    beth
  • ChargerGuy
    ChargerGuy Posts: 357
    Options
    Ahhh my favorite cake and now I have the inspiration and recipe to try it on the BGE. Man I love this Forum!!! Thanks, Rolling Egg, :)
  • Rolling Egg
    Options
    She is most welcome. The thanks goes to her for the recipe. I may have to do another one soon.
  • Rolling Egg
    Options
    The only thing I should add (and she actually has it in the recipe) is to try to use a deep skillet or dutch oven to cook it in. I used a standard iron skillet and as it cooked it eased over the edge a bit and burnt the edges. If you look close you can see the burnt edges in my pic. No big deal, just something to expect if you use a regular iron skillet.
  • chrono
    chrono Posts: 177
    Options
    I have to bookmark this. My favorite dessert ever. Probably will try substituting the butter for smart balance as I've had good luck with using it in cooking.
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Rolling Egg, that pineapple upside down cake looks divine! If left to my own devices I could devour the whole thing. I've made them in a dutch oven over the coals of a campfire and had trouble extracting the cake without it falling apart. I'll have to try it on the egg in a deep CI skillet.
  • Rolling Egg
    Options
    You know, I could see it falling apart with a deeper oven as well. The way I took mine out was by laying the cake pan on the top of the skillet and flipping it over. I guess to do it in a deeper pan without it crumbling you would have to fill it up with batter and that would defeat the purpose. Not sure. Now you got me thinking. Maybe I did it the right way and just need to trim the edges off if I dont like them. Have a good day.
  • WickedIsland
    WickedIsland Posts: 153
    Options
    Can't wait to try this! Never thought I could make a cake on my deck. Now... If my egg would just hurry up and get here