Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

country style ribs

Options
Tripper007
Tripper007 Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I saw some country style ribs in Publix, what is the difference between country style, baby back and st louis? Is one better than the other?

Comments

• tigeregghead
    Options
    The country style are much meatier and are cut from the backbone of the hog. Baby backs are smaller and have less meat on them. Just my opinion though
  • Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    Options
    I've cooked the spare and the baby back but haven't tried the country. So far I like the baby backs
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    I had heard that country ribs are cut from different places depending on where you are. Never tried them on the egg myself, I'm a spares man.

Doug
  • Lei'd-n-Egg
    Lei'd-n-Egg Posts: 289
    Options
    Hey Tripper, do a search on YouTube and there are a couple good videos on people cooking Country Style Ribs. There very good, but defintely different than Baby Backs or Spares.
  • Tripper007
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I tried some tonight and thought they were ok. Probably due to the fact that I only planned to cook them for 40 min indirectly and check temp, but I got held up on an errand and they overcooked by 20 min. Still good, but too done.
  • Goriller
    Goriller Posts: 40
    Options
    Tripper What state do you live in?
  • Tripper007
    Options
    Georgia in the augusta area
  • Smut-butt
    Smut-butt Posts: 142
    Options
    These ribs are more like pork chops, but very good grilled.

I like to marinate them in a mixture of 50 % soy sauce and 50 % white vinegar. Chop up an onion and add some tumeric seasoning. Put all of this together and pour over the country style ribs; completely covering them. Keep them soaking in the refrigerator for about 8 hours.
    Take the ribs out of the marinade and put them on the grill and cook till done. Discard marinade, only use once.
    Do not add salt to marinade; the soy sauce gives the salt flavor. Use the onions out of the marinade to place on top of ribs as they are cooking.

I cook these on an open egg, bottom vent closed with drip pan.
  • thailandjohn
    thailandjohn Posts: 952
    Options
    Country style ribs are cut from the shoulder area.

Spare ribs are from the rib section

St Louis ribs are spare ribs that have had the chine bone
    removed and trimmed so all the ribs are the same size

Baby backs are really Loin back ribs that have been marketed under the name Baby Backs and they also come in different sizes according the weight.

I like to put 2 racks of Spare Ribs on the main grill of my XL Egg and then put Country style on the top rack and let the fat from the Country Style baste the Spares below.

I slow cook these at 225 degrees
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Can’t give the lowdown on the differences, but I can tell you that, for the most part, I only ever do country style pork ribs any more!
    What I can tell you is this:
    40 minutes won’t cut it! I honestly believe that a low and slow is the way to go with any ribs.
    With a nice meaty country style rib:
    I brine and soak out. Then it’s a good rub down with what ever may fire the missile. Now we can get to the fire!
    I smoke mine, indirect, for about 3 hrs. at 250 F. They are to die for!
    Is the braining necessary? Maybe not, but I do think it really helps with tenderness and moisture.
    As for a rub or a mop….I think a dose of salt and pepper could do the trick, but I like messing with rubs and I like a good mop too!
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Good explanation of the cut!
    I’ve learned something. Thanks!