Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Foodsaver deal

WessB
WessB Posts: 6,937
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have no personal experience with this exact model..but for $59.99 delivered I thought it was worth a mention here...it says, only bags not rolls...

http://www.buy.com/prod/foodsaver-v2040-vacuum-sealer-kit-w-tilia-foodsaver-gallon-size-bags/q/loc/66357/209000351.html?adid=17654

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Good heads up. We never thought we would use our Food Saver but it is now used so frequently that we keep it out on the counter.

Not only does it keep food better, it is easy to heat the food when I'm ready. And the most remarkable thing is that the quality of the food, even after months in the freezer, hasn't changed one bit. Tastes like it just came off the Egg.

I sprung for their best model when I got it a few years ago but if it goes out I'm replacing it with their newest version that stands up.

In my estimation it's worth every penny.

Spring "Eat All We Can And Freeze The Rest" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    We love our foodsaver and have one of the better models.
    Knowing what I know now I would never buy the budget model that will not use roll bags and have built in cutter. We bag so many other items and the cutter and bags makes it so much easier than cutting the rolls by hand.
    Hunting, fishing, tools, photos, electronics and computer parts. Even foodsavered a fly rod that needed to be shipped. (2 piece)
    $60.00 is great price to get your feet wet or a second travel unit.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    I think if I would get one my wife would have a fit. How long can you keep things in the freezer verses wrapping and putting in freezer bags?
  • bryansj
    bryansj Posts: 79
    I saw this earlier and did a quick search on Amazon.com.

Be aware that the reviews for this model are not very good. Check out the Amazon reviews prior to making the jump. FYI, their price is $77.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I know I have had Tri Tip roasts and steaks for 9 months in the freezer that came out perfect.
    The nice thing is being able to size the bag to the product. They are also very strong. I have not had one fail due to a bad seal or pucture. Lost many zip loc bags in the past. They are also great to fill with wings and marinade and then seal with no vacume. You can toss them around and not leak a drop.
    I like to prep all my food the night before and ice it in a cooler for the Eggfests. The foodsaver bags make it easy and safe for travel.
    They are a great product and investment.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Wess,

I'm on my third machine in 8 years or so. It's a V3825 and stands up as I think Leroy was stating. It has been a real trooper and has some nice options as well. I run mine pretty hard and learned my lesson with the lower end models. I also agree that the rolls are great because of the flexibility in sizing your bag. But if your packing hundreds of pounds of fish or anything in large volume the bags not rolls are the way to go.

You should see the assembly line after smacking the Salmon on Lake Michigan in July and August. :ohmy: Even the charter captains ask us not to unveil our catch until they and their customers have left the launch. :laugh:
  • Well reading these posts and others in the past has sold me on spending the extra coin on a better model. After I get my small in june I think this will be my next eggrelated purchase.

American Express thanks all of you
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
    I just bought one a few weeks ago, in preparation for garden-harvest season...bought a freezer too. I think you'll be pleased.

As mentioned above, one of the big benefits is easy thawing. You can drop a bag in water without fear of leakage, unlike a ziplock (nothing worse than waterlogged ground beef). Reheating pulled pork becomes a breeze. I'm making a big batch of burritos for the freezer, and I'm going to try wrapping one with the foodsaver, freeze it, and then see how it does in the microwave.
  • That would be awesome. Or make some pulled pork taquitos by the dozen and reheat those bad larries for a party or whatever.

How would ABTs or MOINK balls do in foodsaver bags and then reheated? Obviously without the toothpicks :whistle:
  • Paco
    Paco Posts: 27
    I've had my Food Saver for over 15 years and use it all the time. I absolutely love it. It was a lower end model without all the bells and whistles but is still gets the job done.
    The bag material is a little expensive...just have to wash and reuse.
    If anyone is even considering buying one, I highly recommend it. Especially if you buy food in bulk or load up when it's on sale.
    You can keep food for a long time when sealed properly.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    I think their advertisements say "up to two years."

If its in the freezer that long you probably don't know what it is anyway. Even so, I'm betting it will turn out tasting just like the day it was cooked, maybe even better.

Spring "No Frozen Meal Is Served After Its Time" Chicken