Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cost / Benefit - Dry aging

Options
kricks
kricks Posts: 244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just got an advertisement from the local butcher shop (part of a NY chain). $33 / lb for dry aged Select Angus. I'm assuming it is choice.

Costco sells PRIME primals for $8 - $9 a pound. For a 14 pound primal the difference is over $300!!! The Dry aging bag thing is "only" $150 tax title and license. I can't afford not to age my own and they are free after maybe 8 steaks!!!

Good math... no but that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Comments

• BUILDER
    BUILDER Posts: 45
    Options
    $33 per pound is ridiculous. For that they should come to your house and cook it for you with sides and a nice bottle of wine.

Costco here in ATL had Prime at $7.99 per pound. They looked beautiful.
  • BUILDER
    BUILDER Posts: 45
    Options
    $33 per pound is ridiculous. For that they should come to your house and cook it for you with sides and a nice bottle of wine.

Costco here in ATL had Prime at $7.99 per pound. They looked beautiful.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    $33 for SELECT? Not even Choice or Prime? Select - that's a joke!

BTW I'm an avid fan of the DrybagSteak product and applaud you for doing the cost analysis!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Ron,

I find it hard to believe that they would dry age the select and try and get 33 bucks for it.

ain't that like put'en lipstick on a Pig?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    LOL - that was my thought too - along with the saying you can't shine sh*t, but then you corrected me on that statement a couple weeks ago! :laugh:
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ripnem
    Options
  • Ripnem
    Options
    it was a 2.5" Dia ball of dudu that shined like you wouldn't believe.

Although, a select primal, for the right price, probably wouldn't be hurt by dry or wet aging. :huh: I dunno...I got lots to learn.