Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brining

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone brine Boston butt, and it you do, have you ever put turbinado in the brine?[p]Jerry

Comments

• MR H
    MR H Posts: 109
    Jwirlwind,
    I brine almost all of my boston butts. Yes I use only turbinado sugar with kosher salt to make the base mixture.
    The butts come out of the Egg at 190* moist and tender.To me brining is the way to go.[p]Cheers
    Howard in Bartow

• MR H,[p]What all do you put in your brine, may I ask?
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Jwirlwind,
    I usually use Mollases or Sorgham as the flavor conductor and use either pickling salt (If I'm not heating and then cooling the brine) or Kosher salt for the cellular balancing. After the brining for about 24 hours I usually put a salt free sugar free rub on just before cooking that consists of a bunch of different flavors ranging from blazing heat to mild herbs and always has some caraway in it.[p]If you just let the meat drip drain after the brine, and then apply the rub liberally while it is still wet or moist, the flavor will still be able to osmose into the meat before the smoke seals it.[p]That's just how I tend to do it, there as many different ways to do it as there are people in the world.