Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quietly Going Away.

Mark0525
Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This is an email that I received today:

Mark,

I think what the guys are getting at is that a lot of the posts lately (not just yours) start filling up the database with a lot of replies that in the end wind up just taking up space. There is no need to comment to every post others make.

The main objective here is to build a searchable database with useful knowledge to help others.

750+ posts for a newbie after two months is a bit excessive.

Please understand this makes a lot of work for the moderators because we have to go in and prune the "fluff" over time to keep it from filling the database.

I will monitor the site and search the data base for questions that I have. I'm sorry for posting non sense "FLUFF"

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Wow. You don't need to leave Mark.
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    yeah dont leave, you have given me great info! if i need help i ask, that is what they tell me to do! and i do just that. :) and to say that you have to many post for only being on here for a few months, well i am not sure about that, that just means your on here a lot which is good. like me, i have it on all day long, i am self employeed and i have a lot of down time, so i look at the forum alot, where i think others are only on here a few times a week, but not sure, my 2cents, :):) you can ask me if you need anything, not sure how much help i will be, but there are a lot of people helping me!! :)
  • Sooner Egg
    Sooner Egg Posts: 578
    as it relates to this forum, would you please define the word "fluff".....I don't want to get any "helpful" letters in the back from the administrators of this fine forum ;)
  • Mark0525
    Seriously, when people start discussing how many times people post in a public forum because there is too much maintenance then the forum isn't really doing what it's suppose to be doing. All I did last night is to stick up for a fellow egger when someone questions how many times the egger posted. Didn't know there was a limit. Then someone mentioned that I've been on here only 2 months and have 750 post. OK that's a lot but seriuosly never really looked at the count. It seems like you can't stick up or make a statement without someone bashing you, that's fineMark,

I think what the guys are getting at is that a lot of the posts lately (not just yours) start filling up the database with a lot of replies that in the end wind up just taking up space. There is no need to comment to every post others make.

The main objective here is to build a searchable database with useful knowledge to help others.

750+ posts for a newbie after two months is a bit excessive.

Please understand this makes a lot of work for the moderators because we have to go in and prune the "fluff" over time to keep it from filling the database. I don't mentioned who emailed me but just couldn't believe it. I think someone needs to make sure you know the RULES before they are allowed to register. My mouth is shut and I'll just sit back now..go ahead guys bash me. :)
  • Mark0525
    I support you very much because most of the time with all the BS you just let it run it's course, but then you have people talking about too many post and fluff and hard to maintain. THAT'S A FORUM. These things go on. Don't make people feel like they have to watch how times they say "That a boy" or "great cook" The one guy last called BigA out for doing that. He said nothing wrong and he should of shut his mouth. That's all I said and it's blown up to this. Fine, lets hash it out if you want. As you can see I don't hold back. I got blasted 2 weeks ago and I took it fine. It shouldn't be that way.
  • Mark0525
    One suggestion I would have now that I know that there's not a lot of space in the data base would be maybe after 10 yrs delete some of it. Who needs to go back 10 yrs and search things. I'm sure the advice from THE EXPERTS is much better today then it was 10 yrs ago and would create a great deal of room, but that's none of my business :)
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    If you want to stop the fluff on the main forum start moving posts to the Off Topic Board where they belong.
    You have the power to fix your own problem. Other well run sites such as "The Virtual Weber Bullet" will stop a run away thread and move it. I understand your time is limited but this is getting out of hand. So much of the Off Topic information is great information and I enjoy reading most of it but I would enjoy it more if it were on the Off Topic forum in the first place and not mixed in with people trying to get help using their Egg. We are only hurting the new users. There is no real reason why many of the forum posts should not start on the Off Topic side in the first place.
    Thank you,
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Sorry Tweev but this forum was started as a place for friends to get together and talk egging it is only over the last year or so that the feeling of the room has disappeared. I don't care for things the way they are now and visit less but that is just me. Forum? maybe but thats not the only thing this place has been over the years.
  • Mark0525
    I agree my post are fine, I never questioned that Tweev. I simply stuck up for an egger being bashed for posting so many times. I'm fine with myself and if people don't like how many times I post or how long I'm on here I don't care seriously....no drama here...Just voicing my opinion last night and now it snowballed. Don't worry I will continue to cook and read and learn more on here because this is a great site to learn from even if there are a few on here.
  • Mark0525
    I'm not reading or commenting on this subject again. I think we all gave our opinion on this subject and we all have learned more on it and maybe open our eyes to really know what's going on. But enough is enough. Time to move on. Thanks for listening to me,
    Mark
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Mark0525 wrote:

searching the database isn't the most fun or productive thing to do due to several factors i think.... duplicate thread titles being one of the main things.

besides, if you have a question and just post it up, people will usually post an answer or a link ot an answer within minutes.

i DO wish the database was more searchable however.
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    I have stayed out of all this because I don't argue with people who make no real difference in my life. I do have a question. "Quietly Going Away"?
  • Sooner Egg
    Sooner Egg Posts: 578
    not to be a "tweeve" but that was a rhetorical question...right? :laugh:
  • Kenny 13
    Kenny 13 Posts: 321
    WPB, question here - are you the only moderator here, or are there others as well? Reason I'm asking is because if you are the only one, I can see how it would be so difficult for you to police things and move things to the OT forum where necessary. Perhaps a reason to add some moderators if there aren't others.

I did come here not only to learn, but to make friends as well and I don't think there's any reason to frequent a forum like this if you don't have any interest in forming some kind of bond with the members you happen to be sharing information with. I was lurking here for probably 7 or 8 months before I signed up a few months ago, and I definitely notice a big change in the "mood" here, and although I'm logged on just about all day I find myself spending less time here because of many of the squabbles lately.
  • I understand what you mentioned about the search results, unfortunately there is nothing I can do about poorly chosen subject lines. However, you can adjust the search criteria to set how much of the body of the post gets returned in results. This will help A LOT in sifting through to find the information you want.

There is also and advanced search that allows expressions to control how the search is conducted. I use it and I find it useful.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=129&Itemid=182
  • I'd rather not give my identity due to other annonymous posters here but this forum is absolutely out of control.
    I agree with you 100%.There are people that celebrate and are so proud of hitting milestones such as 5,000, 10,000 posts. What's there to brag about??? That you're a bored individual with nothing to do with your time but post crazy responses that are absoulutely meaningless and useless. It's one thing if you're actually answering a post. Some of these "milestone" individuals don't even take the time to read the previous response or they'll say "I agree with the above respone". Just a waste of other peoples time and data space on the forum.
    People that abuse the forum should be banned IMMEDIATELY!! No warning or second chance.
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    I'm going to disagree with you on that for one major reason and it isn't a shot at you. BGE has done a great job over that last few years at selling their product. So there are now thousands of people reading and posting on the forum rather than hundreds. But a lot of the great ones, and I mean GREAT ones who took cooking on the BGE to an art form are no longer around. The reasons vary but a lot of their info is still in the database. I would much rather read the insight they prvided than someone that's had a BGE for 6 months.
  • Give me a BREAK!! Big A is excessive, annoying and way out of line. Go into his profile and read his responses. Most are just a bunch on nothing.
  • kricks
    kricks Posts: 244
    I'd never contribute toward superfluous posts... Oh wait...
  • Kenny 13
    Kenny 13 Posts: 321
    Oh, I agree - if something is OT, it should be posted in the OT forum or labeled "OT" at a minimum. And I'm not suggesting to create more work for mods. I was just wondering if you were the only one, which would explain difficulty trying to keep some order with the number of members we have here.
  • deepsouth
    that would be awesome. i'd have loved to have been a part of the forum back then.

that said, in my couple years, i have gained a wealth of knowledge from the members that are still here. sometimes you have to just look through the windshield and forget about what's in the rear veiw mirror.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    If the subject line is not clear just dump it.
    Problem solved. Don't open it, just delete. Very little time wasted.
    It won't take long and people will start following your rules and they will post proper subject lines. The problem now is the nuber of posts and this problem has been over looked for way to long. The longer you wait the worse it will get. You might as well jump in now or just walk away. This is not a self healing issue.
    I'm sorry you are having to deal with all these issues but once the rules are set in place and enforced things will get better.
    I also don't see a reason why visitors are allowed to post. This only causes problems for you and makes it easy for hostiles to push buttons.
    Again, you can fix this with time.

Your comment on topic search was not an issue for me.
    Might need to be posted under another post.
    Thank you,
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • deepsouth
    Photo Egg wrote:
    If the subject line is not clear just dump it.
    Problem solved. Don't open it, just delete. Very little time wasted.
    It won't take long and people will start following your rules and they will post proper subject lines. The problem now is the nuber of posts and this problem has been over looked for way to long. The longer you wait the worse it will get. You might as well jump in now or just walk away. This is not a self healing issue.
    I'm sorry you are having to deal with all these issues but once the rules are set in place and enforced things will get better.
    I also don't see a reason why visitors are allowed to post. This only causes problems for you and makes it easy for hostiles to push buttons.
    Again, you can fix this with time.

Your comment on topic search was not an issue for me.
    Might need to be posted under another post.
    Thank you,
    Darian

i think i started a "striving for accurate thread titles" thread a while ago that was pretty much disgarded iirc. later on, i think WPB posted something along the same lines....

and the "visitors allowed to post" has always gotten to me as well, but apparently, the forum majority and the admin doesn't mind (and it's his baby as far as i have been able to determine).
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    WPB - maybe it is time to turn off the ability for guests to post? Much easier for the moderators to control things if you only allow registered users to posts. Yes, I realize that would turn off the ability for a few people that want to ask a question but don't want to register, but the way the board is right now I sure would take that trade. (Registering, only takes a minute).

I realize this has not been needed here in the past, but the forum keeps growing and it is fairly standard MO for most forums.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • I understand about the search results, unfortunately there is nothing I can do about poorly chosen subject lines. However, you can adjust the search criteria to set how much of the body of the post gets returned in results. This will help A LOT in sifting through to find the information you want.

There is also and advanced search that allows expressions to control how the search is conducted. I use it and I find it useful.

Here's more on advnaced search:
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=129&Itemid=182

Also, from the "Forum" menu, select "Search Forum" and adjust the parameters.

Here's the link:
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?searchword=&option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=112&func=search

You can choose to only search by subject (the default, that's why the more descriptive the better), or only replies, or search the message text itself. It is VERY fast considering it is searching over 700,000 posts.

You can also set how far back in time you want to look, whether to order by date or by relevnace, and you can set the number of results returned per page.
  • B & C
    B & C Posts: 217
    Well go already! And while your going, can you go quietlier? ;)