Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The "I Love You" on Linux

Options
mollyshark
mollyshark Posts: 1,519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Stolen from my database newsgroup...but couldn't resist given the concern we had on the original:[p]This is the Linux version of 'I Love You' which works on the
honor system.[p]If you receive this mail, you should delete a bunch of GIFs,
MP3s and binaries from your home directory, and send a copy of this e-mail to everyone you know.

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    MollyShark, if I were going to take the time to write virus (which I wouldn't), why would I write it for an operating system that only about 2% of the computers use - I might as well go after the other 98%. Just a thought![p]In it's short time out (article as of the middle of last month) 1.5% of all Internet users have already upgraded to Windows 2000.
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Gfw,[p]If the virus for Linux is anything like much of the other software for Linux, you'll need to read the email, save the attachment, run gunzip filename on it, then tar -xvf filename, then if it's Red Hat specific (which much new Linux stuff is since it's the biggest distro) rpm -uvh filename on it.[p]After this, you'll have to find the executable and run it and watch it not work.[p]I'm a Linux user and like it more than M$ Windoze, but I definitely recognize its shortcomings. The cool thing is if you're running Linux as a user instead of as root, the worst that can happen is that data files will be lost. It's pretty hard to write a virus in Linux that supercedes Unix user protection levels if it's running as a regular non-superuser.[p]Cornfed (president and CEO of Geeks-R-Us)
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Cornfed,[p]Oops. Had too many "barley pops" tonight. Did too much "scanning" and sadly didn't realize the sarcastic nature of MollyShark's post. Yeah, reading an email then purposefully deleting a bunch of files would pretty much do it![p]As for upgrading to Winslows 2000, there is no virus more dangerous than this choice![p]Geekfed