Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Stone on Grill or Plate Setter????

Options
thailandjohn
thailandjohn Posts: 952
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Do you put pizza stone on the grill or plate setter?

I would thing directly on the grill, it would get hotter

Costco in the San Fran Bay Area has a good deal on a 15" pizza stone and kit. The stone, pizza paddle, roller cutter, and a grill brush for $20.00

Comments

• FatMike
    FatMike Posts: 464
    Options
    Many here place it on the 3 green feet on the place setter legs down. I have been doing it lately with good results with the place setter legs up, then the grill grid, then the extended grid and put the stone on that. Gets the pizza higher in the dome. My old faithful is the first one tho
  • edg1
    edg1 Posts: 86
    Options
    Hi John,

The way I do it is: Platesetter, legs down. Then the 3 BGE feet. Then the pizza stone. I like having the space between the platesetter & the pizza stone.

I think I like because the platesetter can take the heat directly from the coals, and get hotter than the thermometer. If the stone is directly on the platesetter, that over temp can xfer into the stone and then your food, burning the bottom of the food. But creating that space seems to do away with food burning on the bottom of the pan.

At least, this is my experience.

edg
  • Mr. Matt
    Mr. Matt Posts: 59
    Options
    All I have to say is ceramicgrillstore.com.

I purchased an adjustable grid platform and a heavy duty pizza stone. I am very happy with the products and excellent customer service / support! When you have a minute take a look!
  • Petunia
    Petunia Posts: 110
    Options
    I'd be leery of purchasing a cheap pizza stone. From what I've heard here on the forum they tend to break under the high heat of the Egg.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Edge1 is correct about the setup and the reasoning behind it. My BGE feet are under the egg so I just picked up 3 large stainless nuts [5/8 or 3/4"] at my local hardware for the spacers.
    Also, Petunia is right on about the cheap stones. The one you are looking at might be great, but more likely it will shatter after one or two cooks. Pampered chef stones are expensive and they are notorious for flying apart in an EGG. Buy a stone from BGE or Ceramic Grill Store, you won't be sorry. B)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa,FL
  • boston_stoker
    boston_stoker Posts: 794
    Options
    If you put it directly on plate setter, the two will for the most part heat as one. You need to use the feet or grill method. Also, many have assorted different pizza stones, and many of them often break within a few cooks.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    One brand I found is particularly egregious in this respect is "Pampered Chef". They last about as long as a 2nd Lt. on his first drop into a hot LZ in Viet Nam.
  • thailandjohn
    thailandjohn Posts: 952
    Options
    Thanks for the info...

In addition to the stone I bought from Costco, I have a large stone made by the BGE company. I bought this one from the place where I bought my Egg

If my Costco stone breaks, I will return to Costco. They are good about the return policy.