Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with..believe it or not....Sirloin

Options
Lawn Ranger
Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife just started a diet that won't let her have anything but chicken, fish and real lean beef. She instructed me to buy her a nice piece of sirloin to Egg for her tonight. I suggest chicken frying it, but I guess that defeats the purpose. Anyway, I'm used to only doing really good cuts a-la-TRex. I know I can't do it that way....so, does anyone have any suggestions as to how I should prepare it?[p]BTW, I'm having beef also...but it ain't sirloin.[p]Thanks,[p]Mike

Comments

• Basselope
    Basselope Posts: 102
    Options
    Why don't you try a smoked steak?
    Salt and pepper the steak, and return to the fidge.
    Start a fire and stablize at 200-250.
    Add smoking wood, and steak
    Smoke until internal is 125 (for medium rare)
    Steak will be ugly and grey.
    Crank up egg to atomic and return steak for sear 1-2 minutes per side.
    Enjoy.

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    Lawn Ranger,
    Actually you can do it like the better cuts; just take it off at 125-130, let it sit and slice it thin. The time it takes to sear it on both sides may be enough depending upon the thickness of the meat. If you have a good butcher, have him/her cut it 1 1/2 inchs; then you can follow the T-rex method. Enjoy.

• Unknown
    Options
    Lawn Ranger,
    I agree with Marvin, as long as it is thicker than 1 " you can use the T rex version, just varying the times depending on thickness. It does a top sirloin quite nicely that way.

• UnConundrum
    UnConundrum Posts: 536
    Options
    woo woo,
    I'd be careful on anything less than an inch and a half... If you're at lava temps, that inch thick steak, can get done very quickly.....

• The Other Dave
    Options
    Lawn Ranger, If you have one of the meat tenderizers with the multiple blades, that will help. If not the type like a spiky mallet might substitute. I think I would also use some Adolph's as well. Maybe try these and then TRex them as suggested. Let us know how it turns out!

• Unknown
    Options
    UnConundrum,, Yea, if I do that, I sear at about 650 and only 45 seconds per side, Its alwats fine.

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    Lawn Ranger,[p]Like most here are saying....I make sure to get it at least 1-1&1/2 in...and I cook like Flank Steak. Hot...fast...and a short dwell.[p]Slice against the grain(thin)...and prepare to be surprised!! Loooots of flavor here!![p]Enjoy![p]Chubby[p]PS... Mike.....If you'll provide me with your mailing address...I'll forward you a disc of Texas eggfest pics!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Lawn Ranger, for the last little while we have been playing with top-sirloin trying to duplicate what we ordered at Bistro Zinc in Chicago - and we are almost there. [p]My favorite butcher cuts the meat at about 1/2 inch thick. BGE is heated to about 800+ degrees. Cooking time is about 1 minute per side and then off the grill and give it another minute. Result is a 1/2 inch medium-rare to rare sirloin that cuts with a fork and tastes great.[p][p]
    [ul][li]Gfw's[/ul]
  • Lawn Ranger
    Options
    The Other Dave,
    Thanks! I'm going to put a bunch of these ideas and see how it works.[p]Mike

• Lawn Ranger
    Options
    Gfw,[p]Man...that sounds like the deal! I'll keep you posted. [p]Thanks, Mike

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Lawn Ranger, and during that last minute while the steak is sitting (if not into low-cal) just place a little butter on top - garlic butter is even better. [p]Life is GOOD :~}

• DTM
    DTM Posts: 127
    Options
    Yo LR,
    Go for a black and blue cook. Hot seared just below burned crust and rare inside. Sirloin is notorius for maybe tender but probably tough. 20-25 minutes before sear time; medium dust of Adolph's and jacarrad-ize or fork it all over. Any more time and it gets the mushy over tenderized...less and boot leather. A little wipe of fresh lime..a t or so. Liberal dust w/ Weber Santa Maria Tri-tip rub. I little more coarse salt. Pam the rubbed side and toss on. 500° plus. Treat the other side. Lime, rub, touch of salt, Pam.
    3 minutes, over, 4 min. Rest 10. Start w/ 1 1/2". Adust times for thick and grill temps. We had it last night.
    Dan

[ul][li]Santa Maria Tri-tip[/ul]
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Lawn Ranger,
    I realize the event might be over and done but here's a suggestion for down the road possibly.[p]Ages ago I worked at a Kroger Grocery Store and we had a grill we put out front during the week at lunch. We used to do these Rib-Eyes that were outstanding (not because they were rib-eyes, but the mutilation they received.) This was a recipe from a guy who had worked everywhere in the store, but never stayed long enought o specialize in anything. Anyway on to the recipe...[p]1 bottle cheap cooking Sherry
    1 bottle cheap Teriyaki sauce
    1/2 bottle of adolph's tenderizer
    Water to cover (this was for a whole rib eye cut into 1/2" steaks)
    Soak for anywhere from 5 minutes to 5 days (don't ask about the 5 days please) and cook for anywhere from 5 minutes to 5 hours on just about any temperature above 300*.[p]Believe it or not they were awesome, and we used to charge 3 bucks for one of those on a cheap hamburger bun.