Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket temp.

Options
AZ Geoff
AZ Geoff Posts: 66
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I currently have a 7lb brisket going along just fine. What kind of temp. am I looking for doneness?? Or do I use the "fork" test??[p]Thanks,
Az Geoff

Comments

• StubbyQ
    StubbyQ Posts: 156
    Options
    I never go beyond 185° internal. [p]After that it just dries out the meat.[p]Some guys got 190-205°. I think that's too much. (IMHO)
  • Daddyo
    Daddyo Posts: 224
    Options
    AZ Geoff,
    I go to 195.

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 441
    Options
    AZ Geoff,
    Both! In my first two brisket cooks I was shooting for and internal temp of 195, but have learned from many on this forum to use the fork test in conjunction with monitoring the internal meat temp. My last brisket cook 5 lb flat cooked for 14 hours at 200* grid temp (not dome - I have the Maverick ET-73) and internal meat temp of 202* before I took it off, wrapped it in foil and kept in a cooler with towels for two hours. It was the best I've done to date - not dry and just about fell apart as I cut into it. Again, a lot of folks use whatever method works for them so you need to find what works for you. This one works for me and I'll use it until something happens that causes me to adjust my method. Good luck to ya! Joe

• AZ Geoff
    AZ Geoff Posts: 66
    Options
    Smokin Joe,
    I did the fork test at 185 - didn't seem right. Let it go til 195 - seemed right. Pulled it at 195 and put in ice chest.
    Can't wait to try it!!
    Thanks to all !![p]
    AZ Geoff