Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sparerib Recipe-I lost my book

Options
Hungry in Lilburn
Hungry in Lilburn Posts: 756
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to cook spareribs and I can't find my original cookbook that had the recipe in it. I think it is 350 indirect for 3 hours, then foil with apple juice and honey for 2 hours and then 1 hour back on the grill with the sauce. I am looking for fall off the bone ribs, they must be very soft, melt in your mouth texture like butter. Anyone still got their book and know which recipe I am talking about? Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Crock Pot em....
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    geeze, why didn't i think of that? :woohoo: :laugh:
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    I pitched that cookbook after reading that 4 pounds of ribs could be cooked in 45 minute!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
    Options
    bah, you just have a more narrow definition of "cooked" ;)
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    Okay, I put the ribs in the crockpot and then put the crockpot on the grid, do I need to use the platesetter? And do I plug it in? :huh:
  • RRP
    Options
    LOL - honest story - 6 years ago at our eggfest a fancy-dancy young yuppie couple complete with the sweater sleeves tied across their throats egged their ribs for the 45 minutes and tried to serve them - one look and everybody passed which p*ssed off the woman who made the loud snide comment - "well, we got the recipe from the BGE cookbook so you people are clueless!!" They then left their raw ribs and drove off in a huff!
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Some guy not too long ago was talking about putting a hot plate in the bottom of his Egg.
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    :ohmy: :lol: :woohoo:
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    good grief! :P
  • sharhamm
    sharhamm Posts: 258
    Options
    The book says 325, indirect.
    I will put this in my Mastercook and post it on this site either tonight or tomorrow.
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    I am going to use the 3-1-15 process. 3 hours at 350, 1 hour foiled with apple juice and honey and 15 minutes with sauce on them. I can't wait that long to eat them. Patience is not a virtue of mine. And I am hungry.
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    uh oh, I better go cook the egg, thanks!
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Hungry in Lilburn,

I don't foil my ribs not unless I need to speed up the cook. Also, I serve sauce on the side. Just sayin.

This is how I cut my spare ribs St Louis style and smoke them. Hope this helps. Tim

Read the entire post it's all there from start to finish.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=803528&catid=1
  • sharhamm
    sharhamm Posts: 258
    Options
    Here's the recipe from the manual:

Backyard Championship Ribs submitted by Dr. BBQ (owners manual recipe)

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

3 slabs St. Louis Style or Baby Baack Ribs, cut in half, membrane off
    1 cup of your favorite commercial or homemade dry BBQ rub
    1 cup honey
    1 1/2 cups apple juice
    2 cups of your favorite BBQ sauce

Cover the ribs with rub, using 2/3 on the meat side, 1/3 on the boney side. Allow to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before grilling.

Set up the EGG for indirect cooking with a platesetter at 325*. Using a bit of hickory and cherry wood chips will help the ribs caramelize.

Cook for one and a half hours, using a rib rack if you need it for space. Remove the ribs and brush them all on both side with the honey.

Put the ribs in an aluminum foil pan with about one inch of apple juice in the bottom; standing them on end in the pan if necessary. Cover with foil and continue cooking for about one hour, replenishing the apple juice if needed. Test the ribs by sticikng them with a toothpick to see when they are soft and tender. (At this point you could cool them down, wrap them serarately and reheat later; this is a great way to take ribs to a tailgate party or to prepare ahead for a party at home.)

Transfer the cooked ribs to a medium hot grill. Brush with honey, BBQ Sauce and flip for just a few minutes. Cut in to pieces and serve.

Big Time BBQ Rub by Dr. BBQ

1/2 cup salt
    1/2 cup turbinado sugar
    1/4 cup granulated brown sugar
    1 tbsp. granulated onion\
    2 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
    2 tsp. cayenne
    2 tbsp. chili powder
    1 tbsp. granulated garlic
    2 tbsp. paptika
    1 tbsp. ground cumin
    1 tsp. ground nutmeg
    1 tbsp thyme leaves
    Combine all ingredients, mix well, and store in an airtight container

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    THANK YOU! GOT TO GO GET THEM PUPPIES OFF THE EGG!!!!
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    Half of my ribs disappeared between the time I took them off to put the honey and apple juice on them and they made it back on the grill!

PS: How do you get BBQ sauce off a keyboard???
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Last night on "Two and a half men" Jake was licking the piano keys so, have at it! :P :woohoo:
  • RRP
    Options
    with all due respect to Ray Lampe I was talking about the old BGE cookbook that preceded whatever new version you have. Trust me that 45 minute recipe was not Dr BBQ's!!!