Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Pulled Pork

AbqEgg'r
AbqEgg'r Posts: 91
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Going to cook "mama" pulled pork for mother's day, my 1st attempt. I have a 7lb butt (no jokes here:), so plan 14-18 hours.[p]1. The sauce is brewing
2. The chips are soaking
3. I've read the Elder Ward recipe (and gotten some tips on fire building via email-thanks!)
4. After seeing the picture of "MikeO", I have a brand new pair of Neox gloves for the "pullin".[p]Is there anything I've forgotten? Do most people put liquid in the drip pan? Any other tips?[p]Thanks in advance.[p]TR

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    PP_040900_120001.jpg
    <p />AbqEgg'r, I've never used gloves, but I know that two forks do a nice job! Good Luck. Check out the recipe below for Gfw's BBQ Sauce - it is outstanding with PP.[p]====================
    Put the following ingredients in a blender and thoroughly mix. [p]1/2 cup red wine vinegar
    1/2 cup water
    1 1/2 cups brown sugar
    1 1/2 cups of catsup
    1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
    2 teaspoons salt
    2 teaspoons paprika
    2 1/2 tablespoons dry mustard
    4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    2 dashes of hot pepper sauce [p]Refrigerate what you don't use -- it gets better with age. [p]

[ul][li]Pulled Pork[/ul]
  • AbqEgg'r
    Gfw,
    Looks wonderful! The outside looks pretty "dark". Do you use it too, or "pull" the meat from the inside and throw away the shell?[p]TR

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    AbqEgg'r, My favorite is the outside... that dark crust has an incredible flavor. [p]What I don't eat while pulling the pork, I break into smaller pieces and mix with the rest of the PP. [p]You are really going to have fun!

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    AbqEgg'r,[p]My mama was really proud of me when I learned to make PP all by myself.[p]Cornfed
  • AbqEgg'r
    Cornfed,
    I'd never had PP until about four years ago. That was on a visit to Rocky Mount North Carolina, and it was to die for. We have one place here that has PP, but you don't find it with the vinegar based sauce.[p]Did find some cheap lump at Walmart..whomever made it, that was a great tip.

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    AbqEgg'r,[p]I gotta check out Walmart for that lump. I've finally found a store 2 minutes from where I work that usually carries lump during the summer. Problem is I'm soon switching locations within my company so I won't be 2 minutes from there anymore. There's a Walmart about 5-10 minutes from my apt, though, so if they have lump at this location, I'll be pretty psyched.[p]
  • AbqEgg'r
    Gfw,
    Will definitely try Gfw's sauce. I'm sure the forks work fine. I ran across the glove picture in one of my weakened moments..While trying to grow back the hair on my arm from an earlier cooking experience with the BGE :).