Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT...Anybody have an I-Pad?

AZRP
AZRP Posts: 10,116
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm thinking about getting one and don't know which model, 16, 32, or 64 gig, and 3G or not. -RP

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    What is an I-Pad?

Mike
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Thinking about getting Judy one so she can easily show me exactly where we're lost.

Spring "Lost And Found" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • berrygood
    berrygood Posts: 372
    I don't have one, but I too am intrigued. As to the model, I think I'll go with the 32 or 64 WiFi - no 3G. I have an iPhone, so I don't see myself taking the iPad out of the house much.

I have actually played with one, and it is really neat. It would be perfect for web browsing and reading, I think. Honestly, I wanna see what Apple does as far as books before I make the move - not sure if they're going to be added to the App Store anytime soon.
  • As far as memory size buy as much as you can justify spending - you can't upgrade it latter so get it now.

3G depends on where and how you are going to use it -

If you think you need to be connected in places where there is no wifi then get the 3G, the service lets you buy it for a month at a time with no contract so it will only cost you monthly if you need the 3G service that month.

If you mainly use it where you have wifi (ie: home, work, hotels, coffe shops) then you can save some $ by not getting the 3G radio (I think you also give up GPS though if that is important)
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    If you have a Itouch and cant read it, then a Ipad is the fix, if your running anything besides pictures, music and internet, you better off getting a netbook for half the cost. The netbook will do video to video like Skype, the Itouch will not, so no live video at Eggfests.
    For twice the money a mac book pro is nice.
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    I have an on topic question, anybody surfing the forum on an I-Pad? :laugh: I might like to have one at home/take to the coffee shop for light duty web surfing. I don't have any apple products but this one interests me for the portable web surfing aspects.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • I have one. Get it fullly maxed out and with 3G.
  • you can buy books using the kindle app, I have many, they work fine
  • Not sure, but I think it's used according to the lunar calendar..
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    how did we all live with out this stuff - An I pad, really... Does this world need anymore electronics that will be way over priced for 2yrs and then they will all go down in price when they come out with something that will be bigger and better that we dont need. :huh: :whistle: gotta love it.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    That sure was helpful.....
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    That's pushing $900, does it really need 64 gigs? -RP
  • Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    I have one. A 64 Gig Wi-Fi...I don't think the 3g is worth the Extra especially seeing we don't have 3G here. Anywhere you get wireless though the thing screams...it is way fast and super easy to use. We are looking at doing some stuff with them with our students this fall so they have been fun to play with.

-Kevin
    Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Hi Randy,

Lake Conroe Egger bought one while we were in Austin. He's not online now but send him an email. I'm sure he would love to discuss it with you. I'm jealous!
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • I'm actually reading and replying to the forum on my iPad right now. Got the 32gig with 3G. Love it.
  • I've played with them a fair bit. They really are HUGE Ipods touches. I'm still considering picking on up to house all my technical manuals. I also want to see how good it is at storing and organizing pdfs.

32G is A LOT of memory. The largest suck will likely be photos. Being able to transfer and carry all your photos with you is nice. Sometimes I'm on the bus and take the time to look at past vacations etc on my Ipod, it's nice.

Get the 3G. Just having the mapping app and internet access on the road is worth it. Anyway, it's only another $100 and you can turn on or off the data plan so I would say it is worth it.
  • i think big-A is feeling his oats. couple posts lately where he's taking it out and waving it around.

i think i waited a year myself before being a total adze-whole
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    I could tell by the smile on your face that you were going to love it......
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • I got it in mine and happy, gosh only knows the apps in the pipeline
  • WessB
    Took me at least a couple of years...but thingz waz different back then also...LOL
  • I do likes me toys!
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    My pair of pennies Randy says to wait for 2nd generation. It will be better, faster, less buggy, and cheaper if you wait until Christmas time.

I almost bought my wife one for Mother's Day but wasn't all too impressed for the price. She has the ipod touch with 16 or 32GB memory that does just about everything the ipad will do, just on a smaller screen.

I just don't see the benefit myself for the money. If you don't have an e-reader/ipod and will use it for those purposes it may be a wise investment for you. For my money I'll keep my kindle and 6 year old ipod.
  • Great point. My iPad was purchased for me by my wife instead of a Kindel and iPhone. We did not know at the time that Verizon will be selling the iPhone this summer. It will be nice however to be able to use my iPhone with my iPad. It will completely replace my laptop and Blackberry when I go back to corporate America. To old to lug a lap top anymore.
  • you have more than made up for lost time :laugh: :whistle:
  • WessB
    I thank you for that...and plead the fifth your honor...
  • Hungry in Lilburn wrote:
    It will be nice however to be able to use my iPhone with my iPad. It will completely replace my laptop and Blackberry when I go back to corporate America. To old to lug a lap top anymore.

Maybe you should consider a macbook Air for your purposes. Same as an Ipad really, with more functionality, a keyboard, no annoying apps (BUT I'm sure you could get something equivalent anyway) and for the bargain price of twice the cost! :)
  • you used to "bleed" the fifth. dammit. what happened? i hope it wasn't me correcting you. :)
  • WessB
    I was gonna say that..LOL....you got quite the memory my friend...It's all good..
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    My daughter just bought one and she seems to love it. She is a complete nerd and has several Macs. She didn't get the 3G model as she already has an IPhone. She teaches and lectures on using the IPhone in education and will be doing the same with the IPad. It's great stuff.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    I think Apple should create an "iDidit" for every person on the planet from the time they are born. It automatically records everything that person does 24/7 for all their lives.

That way when someone commits a criminal act we just enter the event data and it will search all the iDidit's for the culprit.

No need for trials or putting the wrong person in jail. The "iDidit" cannot tell a lie but will squeal like a pig (apologies to pigs) on their owner when they do something bad.

HR Managers would simply say, "Let me see your iDidit" when conducting previous employment histories or confirming education credentials, or even doing criminal history checks. It stays with that person until death and beyond. Just look at the time it will save at the Pearly Gate.

And with the upgrade we would be able to talk to those in the hereafter.

Technology just keeps getting better every day, so why not my idea...

Spring "Thoughts For Two Cents, Ideas For Two Bucks" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA