Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Seasoned Wok & Some Burgers

Options
Kenny 13
Kenny 13 Posts: 321
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Yesterday I fired up the BGE to season my new hand hammered wok. Looking forward to some good upcoming stir fries on the BGE now that that's out of the way. Been very busy & haven't had much time for any kind of cooking, so any chance to fire up the egg was enjoyable.

Anyway, I figured I'd throw together some burgers to grill while I had the egg lit. Nothing special, just a 50/50 mix of some 85/15 ground beef and ground pork. Added in some worcestershire sauce, sea salt, & freshly ground black pepper for just some simple flavors. Grilled at 400° dome temperature, around 6 minutes per side. Served on whole grain ciabatta rolls topped with a slice of sharp cheddar and fresh tomato. There was a good bit of shrinkage to these, but they tasted very good for simple burgers.

First off, here's the wok after seasoning. Looking forward to using this one.

20kbu6r.jpg

Burgers on the grill.

15yek4x.jpg

Plated with some beans & tots.

wwj24h.jpg

Comments

• Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    Pretty good lookin "nothing special!" The bun looks amazing.
  • WhackMaster719
    Options
    Nice looking cook. I like the look of the hammered wok. Looks like they made it off the top of a huge golf ball!
  • Kenny 13
    Options
    Thanks! I'm really looking forward to using the wok now. As part of the seasoning process, I stir-fried some scallions & ginger, which is supposed to help remove any metallic flavor from the wok. Cooked like a charm, and there wasn't anything remotely close to sticking!
  • Ricklesss
    Ricklesss Posts: 391
    Options
    That's one of the nicest photos I've ever seen of a properly seasoned wok. Including all the wonderful photos in the book "Breath of a Wok". (Which I highly recommend, by the way.)
    Definitely keep us in the loop, with your up-coming
    (I'm sure) stir fry's.
    I know, I for one am waay interested!
  • Kenny 13
    Options
    Actually, I recently finished reading "Breath of a Wok" and it's a fantastic book. I highly recommend it as well!

I bought my wok from The Wok Shop and used Ms. Chan's recommended seasoning method of baking at 450° upside down (I used the egg rather than the oven) for 20 minutes, cool for 5 minutes, scrub with a stainless steel scrubber and repeat. That picture was taken after the 3rd cycle, then I stir-fried some scallions & ginger to help remove any metallic flavors the wok could give.

BTW, that seasoning method is explained in "Breath of a Wok" too.
  • WhackMaster719
    Options
    They Wok Shop as in the one in San Fran? Is that their OUR 16" hand hammered model? Looks really nice! I'll have to look into that book.
  • Kenny 13
    Options
    WhackMaster719 wrote:
    They Wok Shop as in the one in San Fran? Is that their OUR 16" hand hammered model? Looks really nice! I'll have to look into that book.

That's the wok.

That is a great book for anyone interested in cooking with a wok. It's not just a cookbook, although there are a bunch of recipes. There's a lot of history & background information there as well.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    all that wok is missing is a hot flame and viddles.....have fun. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Kenny 13
    Options
    Tom, the adjustable rig really came in handy for seasoning the wok. With the technique I used, you're supposed to wipe a thin coat of oil on the inside and bake inverted for 20 minutes at 450°, and you do this several times. I used the second highest level of the rig with the wok inverted on the adjustable bars, and when it was time to remove it from the egg it was easy enough to just remove the entire rig and set it on the ground for the five minutes while the wok cools.
  • Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Hi Kenny,
    I'm glad you got your wok.It's a beauty and it will only get better with use.
    Nice looking burgers too.
  • Kenny 13
    Options
    Thanks Jon. Now I just wish I had some time to actually cook on it. Hopefully I'll be able to do some stir fry on Friday.