Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Thighs and Legs?

Mark0525Mark0525 Posts: 1,230
edited 6:46PM in EggHead Forum
I was going to throw some of these pieces of chicken on the egg. Should I do them direct, raised grate?

Comments

• RipnemRipnem Posts: 5,511
    Yup..400* ;)
  • Mark0525Mark0525 Posts: 1,230
    Thank you. My comfort cork has always been indirect but I guess I will venture out and try direct. Thanks again
  • Car Wash MikeCar Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Mark, I inject them with creole butter and cook indirect at 375-400. I use Rib Stars for Chicken if you can find that rub. Let them dry out a little in the fridge for a crispier skin.
    No wood chucks, just the lump smoke.
    Mike
  • Capt FrankCapt Frank Posts: 2,578
    They will work either way, experiment!
    Drumsticks work really well in one of those vertical racks direct. I tend to get crispier skin with thighs indirect, both at 400 :P
    After a year, I have still not settled on a "go to" way, but I am working on it, and its never been bad, some just not as good :P

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
    Thanks, ok problem #2. I took them out of the freezer when I went to work and they are still a little bit frozen, with they be ok on the egg anyways?
  • field handfield hand Posts: 420
    I try to keep it simple with 400* direct at gasket level. Use EVOO, pepper, garlic powder, and any other rubs, etc, you like. Normally takes about 45-50 minutes. I just use lump charcoal. Seems to work ok for us.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
    I have an injector just nothing really that great to inject it with. Any common spices I could use to make up one?
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    I like to do dark meat pieces indirect with a drip pan. They are fattier than white meat and the fat dripping on the coals makes a nasty tasting smoke. -RP

IMG_1755.jpg
  • GolfnutGolfnut Posts: 144
    Our favorite way to do chicken thighs is raised direct at 250 dome for about two hours. Turn every 20 minutes.
  • Judy's EggJudy's Egg Posts: 104
    I do thighs raised direct @ 375.
  • Car Wash MikeCar Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    The creole butter comes with an injector. If you can't find it. Use melted butter and spices of your choice.

Mike