Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Soon to buy first egg...making decisions on...

Options
DubfromGA
DubfromGA Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Size....

Extras.....

Build table or buy nest......

My trusty rusty old charcoal grill is due for major overhaul or replacement. In 3 more years (current age of grill)...it will be time to do so again.

I grill out a good deal on average 3 nights a week year round. It's something I really enjoy. Nothing better than getting home from the golf course and firing up coals and popping the top on a cold beer.

I'll primarily be cooking for my wife, 10 year old son and myself. On occasion (once per month ave)we'll entertain and I'll be grilling for a total of 6-7 folks.

My grilling has evolved over the past couple of years to include many indirect slow & low and smokes.

The egg sounds like a perfect solution for us.

I visited my local egg dealer this Saturday and looked around. The large size seems to be big enough after talking to him extensively.

He was fairly vague on add-on items....just referenced it being a "sky's the limit" issue.

We'll be moving in less than two years also. The new location will find us much closer to our families so we'll entertain much more often. I wonder if I'll wind up adding a second at some time down the road.

I don't know how to feel about the nests. I like the tables I saw in the store, but I can't see spending $400 on any of them. I have only the minimal of tools so I don't know about making my own table. I think I have a circular saw around here somewhere...but I'm not sure.

How did you guys cut the circle on the top?

Has anyone tried painting one vs. staining?

Finally, is covering an egg a must????

What are the "must have" options?

Comments

• KB
    KB Posts: 144
    Options
    I bought mine recently and I have a nest. I like the small footprint on my deck (my wife has lots of flower pots and furniture). I have two wooden shelves that offer enough room to store stuff on while i'm cooking.

I read posts here about the cover, and a lot of people don't use them (claim they leak). I didn't buy and I don't use a cover and my egg was damp inside following a rainstorm. I just opened it up and let the sun dry it out the next day.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Didnt read your whole post. My ADD just wouldn't allow it. But.....

Large

Nest to start with then build table in your spare time.(if desired)

Plate Setter only in the earley stages then get to know your Egg and make an educated decision of what Eggcessories to buy.
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    I have a medium in a nest. The nest works well for me having a small footprint and the ability to easily position it out of the direct wind. Tables look nice but I thing they are over rated depending on your particular layout. I have egg mates which give me enough table space to unload and load the meat, etc.

Everyone has different needs and space arraingments but the nest serves my situation well!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    :lol: What he said.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BMFD
    BMFD Posts: 25
    Options
    I thought about a medium n but went with the large on others advice,,thankfully I did!!

My wife built my table for $75 so it is not to hard,,I'm not into carpentry and she enjoys it,,,so it's not that hard.

I did use the jig saw to cut the hole in top,,piece of cake.

Get a plate setter then go from there,,, I have a baking stone and am enjoying cooking Pizza on it,,,
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    get the large, plate setter, nest with side tables.
    you will not be disappointed.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• DubfromGA
    Options
    Okay...the place setter is part of the initial purchase.

How sturdy are the pop-up shelves on the nest?

Will they fit beneath the cover?

Sorry about the many questions....so enthused about finally, after years of waiting...getting an egg.

I think my wife finally gave me the "green light" after watching me make a mess in the garage over Christmas deep frying a turkey. She asked then why I didn't simply grill the turkey like I do drunken chicken. I told here the truth...can't do it with our exhisting gear but I could with an egg.

Gotta work a bunch these next two weeks but then I'll have a few days off to get the egg and get it set up.

Final question.....is it worth $140 to have the dealer deliver and set up? He's only 5 miles from here and the youtube vids make the set up seem straightforward.

$140 would cover the table (build) or nest and shelves....just wondering????

Thanks for all your advice. I can't wait to joing the ranks.
  • DubfromGA
    Options
    I'll definitely be getting the place setter.

Do you keep yours stored in the egg?

I wish I had more room outside for storage.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Save the $140, which is robbery anyway. DIY.

Oh, and it's a PLATE setter. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DubfromGA
    Options
    How sturdy are the side tables?

Does the cover fit over the folded down nest, too?
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    You are doing it right by asking questions and you will have lots of them.
    I have an XL because I like having the extra space. I guess for you needs a Large will do just fine. Also save the money you would spend on the nest as well as the $140 to deliver the EGg on a table that you can design and make yourself. So the way I see it, you now will have at least more money to make your own table. With shelves you will be able to put your plate setter and other Eggcessories.

Just keep on reading on the Forum and ask questions.

Gary
  • DubfromGA
    Options
    Cool.

The fredsmusicandbbq videos on youtube are really detailed. I don't anticipate trouble. I can watch on my iPhone while I'm doing it.....looks like basic tools will cover it.

The nest will allow me to C-A-R-E-F-U-L-L-Y roll it around on my back deck to keep it out of the wind and out of sight of folks that may be tempted to pilfer.
  • DubfromGA
    Options
    Great point...the shelf of a table would provide great storage for leaving stuff out there beneath the cover.....hmmmm.
  • Eggcellent
    Eggcellent Posts: 69
    Options
    I bought the XL about a month ago. I built my over the a weekend. It was very easy. Skill saw, Jig saw, square and drill were about the only tools. It was pretty easy.

Plate setter is a must for indirect cooks. I would get the ash tool and the grill gripper too.

Good luck.
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    Options
    i built my table, i used a jig saw to cut my hole, all you need is a drill, jig saw, skill saw (circular saw), level, and maybe a square if you dont cut straight and you have what you need. Enjoy!!
  • ngm
    ngm Posts: 19
    Options
    Well, now that I've had an Egg for a whole week and have cooked three meals on it, I am a certified expert, sorry, eggspert to advise you on your questions.

Easiest decision: size. cooking for three, plus some entertaining. Buy the large. It is plenty big enough.

The biggest decision will be nest vs. table. Despite the advice you'll get, we actually can't answer that for you, because we don't know where your egg will go, and we don't know what your cooking style is.

I have a fairly large stone patio with nothing else there right now, and when I cook I like to have lots of space. I also plan to do much of the preparation outside during the heat of the summer. Finally, I won't move the egg around very much eggcept for some minor repositions. So the table was a no-brainer for me. If your situation is different, you might make a different decision.

The extras I bought were:

- electric fire starter
    - plate setter
    - grill extender
    - baking stone

I strongly recommend the first three. You like to smoke, so the plate setter is a no-brainer. I plan to make pizza, which is why I picked up a baking stone.

I had some old fireplace tools which I have used is over 30% of my cooks (as in, I have done three cooks and used them once :laugh:).

The egg is very easy to put together, if you are strong enough to lift 60-70 pounds and have a socket set.

A table is not as easy to build from scratch, but not very hard, either. It requires more tools, some common sense, and a bit of patience. (BTW, the circle is cut using a jigsaw.) Buying a table would be easier, obviously! Painting wood is a PITA. Painted wood is wood that has to be repainted. You can see I went with cedar (a great all-weather wood) and a one-coat water seal.
  • Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    Options
    Save the $140 and put it towards a table, or the material to build one. My neighbor and I built my table for about $125. I am not handy at all, it can be done. I prefer the table, as the workspace is nice for putting stuff on. If you are limited on space, by all means get the nest. Your LBGE will come in two boxes, just get someone to help you unload. You can set it up in 30 minutes, easily, and probably faster if you wanted to. The plate setter is a must, then after that, it depends on what you want. I too utilize the electric fire starter, and I think I paid $7 for mine.