Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Carolina EggFest

Options
Eggmoramus
Eggmoramus Posts: 84
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I attended the 1st Annual Carolina Eggfest today and it was horrible. It seems to me that the only reason the Casual Furniture people sponsored this event was to give people a 15% discount so they could sell product. There were 10 cooks on hand. 3 were great, 3 were okay and 3 sucked. Not sure where the 10th one was. Maybe next year will be better.

Comments

• Susan Egglaine
    Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
    Options
    I might agree with the statement about the Casual folks just wanting to sell products but the cooks were OUTSTANDING! There were basically 6 cooking stations with 1 or 2 eggs & 1 or 2 cooks who worked all day feeding us goodies. I just downloaded pics that will come later (next day or 2)
    The band was good. The organizer did not return my phone calls when I had trouble registering :angry::angry::angry:
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Susan,

It sounds like most folks had a great time. The first fest is always the hardest. I am sure that you guys and gals set them on a great path for next year... :)
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    I had a nice talk with Josh about some of the issues, but all in all I had a great time, considering it was their first effort. And yes, the cooks did a great job!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Sorry I couldn't make it, but I used way too much of my own money doing the last Troop Cook to justify spending more..

Maybe next year I can make it..
  • Eggmoramus
    Options
    I left an earlier post under your post and now that I have seen the pics you posted you were definitely the best cook there. I really liked the British guy. But overall, I still thought the EggFest was lacking. My cooks in my backyard are far better than most of what I witnessed today.
  • Susan Egglaine
    Options
    vidalia1 wrote:
    Susan,

It sounds like most folks had a great time. The first fest is always the hardest. I am sure that you guys and gals set them on a great path for next year... :)
    Yes, we had a good time, wish some of more of the Ga. crowd could have been there!
    Just my 2 cents (I am not sure the casual folks look here,probably will after the fest)
    return phone calls!
    name tags are a must

Attend a fest somewhere else (I got an email this morning, about the Sunshine Fla. 2012 fest. Last year was the first time for this one, these folks sell nothing!, make nothing, just eggheads :):)

meet & greet?
    after party?

create some eggcitment,throw down,iron chef,give aways, We on the forum are your best supporters,advertisers
    The cooks were GREAT!
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Ummm, I was the dude with the longest lens and the biggest camera, LOL. I wasn't cooking. I was eating. I am stuffed.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
    Options
    maybe next year you'll be the tenth?
  • popagar0
    popagar0 Posts: 136
    Options
    rocrow wrote:
    I left an earlier post under your post and now that I have seen the pics you posted you were definitely the best cook there. I really liked the British guy. But overall, I still thought the EggFest was lacking. My cooks in my backyard are far better than most of what I witnessed today.
    :sick: so next time maybe you will cook?? I for 1 am looking forward to judge your food! :whistle::whistle::whistle:
  • c tredwell
    c tredwell Posts: 575
    Options
    we busted our ass today, if you didnt like my cookin then ur ass is on backwards...try not to speak in generalities....appreciate the good work of others...we bought all the goodies and cooked all day... :angry:
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Rocrow...I wasn't there, so certainly can't speak in specifics. But one thing I would like to make sure you understand....the COOKS??? They are "Eggheads"...that spend their OWN money to buy the food, and DONATE their time to cook for those in attendance. They are doing what they do because they love it.... and understand, there is great financial expense to cook at a Fest in hopes of making folks happy. I would certainly not be judgemental of the cooks in any form or another. No disrespect, but I think you are out of line here, and rather ungrateful for the efforts the COOKS put forth. Remember....they weren't 'supplied' with ingredients, or reimbursed for time, materials, labor...etc. Try another fest, and participate to comprehend all that is involved.
  • MountainGriller
    Options
    I went to the eggfest (my first one) I had a great time and the cooking was great - I don't know what you cooked but I thank you for being there - I would love to have some recipes
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Options
    Cooks break there butts for everyone at these fest. They spend there hard earn money for you and this is no way how to treat them. Just remember we all have different taste and likings of all kinds of food. Some of my best friends cooks I don't care for but I don't thrash out at them in public like this. You might think your cook is the best but I might think your cook is plain english SUCKS. So show a little respect for fellow Eggheads. I hope some day I get to taste your cook.
  • MountainGriller
    Options
    Thank you - well said - I was there and had lots of fun talking to the cooks and enjoying their wonderful cooking. - I didn't know that the cooks are not compensated for their time and materials. They must love it and it shows.
  • Eggmoramus
    Options
    My apologies if I offended anyone. Not my intent. My criticism was intended towards the organizers, not the chef's. It just didn't appear to me that a whole lot of thought went into what they did. Having owned several restaurants I know how hard it is to put out a good meal and overall the cooks did a nice job.
  • Susan Egglaine
    Options
    It is a new day! I try to let things settle before I speak out but I woke up and I am still angry over Rocrow's statement about the cooks. When I got home I said there were not that many cooks but they put out a lot of food & good stuff. Tenderloin,pig candy,shrimp several ways,paella,sliders,several wings,grilled fruit,strawberries,pineapple,bananas,fruit pies,abt's,fish tacos, homemade sausages,tri-tip,cookies,asparagus,sweet potatoes and more. I bet each cook station easily spent over $100 dollars on stuff not to mention,time,travel expenses & labor. They brought there own tents,coolers,ice etc. I hope you cook next year (Rocrow) because I would not blame the others if they did not or maybe you should just stay at home and cook for yourself. I can honestly say I did not have one thing that I did not like. Thank-you to all that did cook you were greatly appreciated!
  • MountainGriller
    Options
    So what's the problem? - I thought Casual Furniture did a great job organizing the event. They provided a convient locaton with music, hand washing stations, bathrooms, tents etc. - All the folks were frendly and helpful - What were you expecting??
  • MountainGriller
    Options
    WOW - Amen Susan
    Thank you for wording it so nicely
    I had a good time also.
  • Eggmoramus
    Options
    Excuse me for saying anything.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Josh was very open to criticism. This was his first event also. I'm not sure what anyone might have expected for a small first Eggfest. I was not disappointed. I'm hoping next year would be bigger and we can think about how to expand and improve. But anyone with any constructive thoughts should certainly call Josh and discuss it.
    The Naked Whiz
  • MountainGriller
    Options
    TNW
    I sorry that I didn't get to meet you at the event - I enjoy your web site - I was taking lots of photos also.
    Hope to meet you at the next Carolina event
    Tom
  • h20egg
    h20egg Posts: 168
    Options
    Well, it was our (wife and I) first eggfest; so our expectations were somewhat blank. (I was the guy with the blue Hawaiin shirt, KS hat). We were a little disappointed in the turnout, disappointed for all the cooks who obviously put their hearts into the event. To do this, you obviously have to love egging, but even without notes above I was thinking, gee, these people are given, what, $15 to come and serve all this up? For $10 a head we got way more than that in great food. I couldn't find anyone's offerings worthy of criticism. As much as we tried to pace ourselves, after about 2-1/2 hours we had to roll ourselves out. We got some great ideas, met some really nice people too. Wife remarked how nice the cooks all were, I said anyone who engages in activities like this, be it egging, model airplane events, etc, seem to just have a friendly pesonna.

We'll be there next year if it's done, hope we have a little less wind! Maybe by then I'll be confident enough and have developed a specialty I'd care to put out there. But from my wife and me, thanks to all who participated and made it happen.

Oh, and a suggestion. We appreciated the bottled water but someone selling some drinks might have been nice. I guess next year we'll bring some ourselves.
  • h20egg
    h20egg Posts: 168
    Options
    Another suggestion: Maybe the cooks LOVE repeating over and over what the recipe was of their offerings, but it would have been great if they had either a single sheet paper handout of what they did and the recipe, or a specific website we could go to so we could reproduce (or at least try to!) what they did. I know I asked many times how they did something, and frankly, I've forgotten most of what I was told! Again, thanks to all who cooked!
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Josh said he was going to try to get the recipes together and if so, he was going to send it out to everyone. I volunteered to host it on my web site also. Let's hope he gets it done!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Unbelieveable.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• MountainGriller
    Options
    Thank you - that would be handy to view the reicpes on your web site
  • grillandbrew
    Options
    Funny - I was getting recipes together for the things we prepared and decided to take a brake and check out the forum when I saw your post. We actually had planned to bring recipe cards but just never got time to get them prepared. I will be posting them on the forum over the next few days for the items the Grill and Brew club prepared ie: Amber Ale Infused Pork Loin, Fish Tacos, Chedder and Bacon Quiche, Moink Balls, Bacon Explosion, Honey and Lime Bananas, Baked Brie Green Egg Style, Green Egg no fuss whole Chicken, Grilled Cutie Pies (that will be a short one :lol: ), Cinamon Grilled Fresh Pinapple, and anything else I am forgetting right now.

Matt
    Options
    like i suggested, if you don't like the food the cooks prepared, and have experience cooking yourself, then volunteer to be the 10th cook next year.

and be prepared to hear someone say that your effort sucked despite your hard work and expense
    Options
    crappy food. and such small portions!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Really eh? That is about the worst thing I have ever read here.

Steve 

Caledon, ON