Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Coffee Crusted Tenderloin Question

Options
Smokin Joe
Smokin Joe Posts: 441
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Everyone, I'm doing the coffee crusted pork tenderloin tonight for the first time and I have a question. I'm serving with salt crusted baked potatoes and fresh steamed asparagus.
I have four 1 lb pieces of pork tenderloin seasoned, wrapped in saran and in the fridge awaiting the cook.
When you all get the temp up to 300-325 do you use any wood for flavoring or do you just cook with lump (I'm using the BGE lump)? Any tips or lessons learned that I should consider?
Thanks in advance for your pearls of wisdom! Joe

Comments

• jackie
    jackie Posts: 21
    Options
    Smokin Joe,
    I just cooked the same tenderlion and it turned out great. But make sure you make the sauce also. It really made the final touch. Used no smake and it cooked about 40 min. and my wife and I ate all of it at one sitting.

• Unknown
    Options
    Smokin Joe, I think I would like a little hickory or something like that in there, but to each his own, just what ever you like!

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Smokin Joe,[p]My favorite woods for pork tenderlins are cherry and hickory and I'll often use a couple of chuncks of each. With the temp up at 300°-325°, it'll burn quicker, but it still adds some very good flavor. Be careful not to overcook them. You can pull them off at about 145° internal and then let 'em rest for a few minutes before carving.[p]Yummmm!
    Tonia[p]PS: We don't usually eat all of them (unless we have company) and they freeze well in foodsaver bags or double wrapped in saran wrap and in a ziploc bag. We pulled out one this week and are slicing it up for sandwiches for lunches. Makes a great sandwich too!

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Smokin Joe,[p]Here's a tip: you may want to use an elevated grid, assuming you're doing these direct. Helps them not get burned if you have some energetic flames.[p]TRex
  • Smokin Joe
    Options
    jackie,
    Thanks! I'm definately doing the sauce too. Joe

• Smokin Joe
    Options
    Chet, I'm more familiar to using woods with lo-n-slo's not directs. I use just about all the different fruit woods, hickory & mesquite (my Texas stint). I'm leaning toward following Q Babe and using a little bit of hickory & cherry. Thanks for your reply! Joe[p]
  • Smokin Joe
    Options
    QBabe,
    I'm following you advice on this one. I like that combo of woods. And, thanks for the heads up on the temp. I'll pull them off nad let them rest for about 10 - 15 minutes. Will pulling them off at 145 and letting them rest get them to a meduim doneness? Joe

• Smokin Joe
    Options
    TRex,
    Thank you sir! I have the grid extender. I can use that. Joe

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Smokin Joe,[p]145° is good...will be juicy, tender and slightly pinkish, but definitely done (though it's hard to convince some that they don't have to go all the way up to 160°). The bad stuff is killed at 137° from what I understand, so even if your thermo is slightly out of calibration, 145° should be fine.[p]Let us know how they turn out!
    Tonia
    :~)