Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

semi frozen butt

Options
otisdog
otisdog Posts: 187
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got a butt I need to start in a few hours. I took it from the freezer Wednesday but it is still partually frozen. I'm thinking start it real low, maybe 195 for an hour then move up to my normal temp

Thoughts?

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Forget that, just cook as normal.

250 at the thermometer intil it's 195-200 and you should be all good.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    While I have never smoked a partially frozen butt I believe you should be good to go simply smoking the way you normally do one. I find that my large egg will cook better when I let it cook at between 250° and 275°. When I try to cook at lower temps I find my egg will try to go out. You should be just fine doing it as you normally would. Tim ;)
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Options
    I cooked 18 butts last night that were completely frozen. It makes no difference and rarely takes much longer to cook. If you have a 2-pak packer it doesn't even matter if they're frozen together. There's no need to start with a lower temp.
  • Unknown
    Options
    CBBQ wrote:
    I cooked 18 butts last night that were completely frozen. It makes no difference and rarely takes much longer to cook. If you have a 2-pak packer it doesn't even matter if they're frozen together. There's no need to start with a lower temp.

You should at least try to thaw the butts a little so the rub sticks to it -- No?
  • otisdog
    otisdog Posts: 187
    Options
    Thanks for the input
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Options
    I don't use any rub for the cook. I season after I pull it. Like smoke I think it only gets so far into the meat. And with other butts dripping on them I think some of it just washes off. I'm not trying to develope bark because most people around here think it's burnt if you give them any bark.
  • Unknown
    Options
    CBBQ wrote:
    I don't use any rub for the cook. I season after I pull it. Like smoke I think it only gets so far into the meat. And with other butts dripping on them I think some of it just washes off. I'm not trying to develope bark because most people around here think it's burnt if you give them any bark.

That's a nice way to think of it. I think I'm going to try that next time. I find fresh dizzy better than cooked for 19 hours dizzy anyhow. Cheers.