Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

digi Q II -- temp setting

Options
meech
meech Posts: 5
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
good day
help -- new egger is having trouble with the digi Q II --- i am trying to cook a brisket overnight at about 225

- the egg was lit and then i attached the digi Q II and had it set at 223 degrees -- (the ramp feature and open lid detector are on)

my problem is that the pit temp is now at 233 and is still rising -- because i wanted to wait until the egg temp was stable, i haven't put the brisket on yet
but i am worried that the temp won't go down and will keep rising

the only
should i just quit whining, have a beer and wait until the digi q has time to settle in on my desired temp

or should i panic and have several beers, then detach
the digi Q and stay up all night watching the temp ??

any suggestions or new ideas would be appreciated

thanks
mitch

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Let the DigiQ II do it's thing. If you just lit the lump then I know the egg is not stabilized yet. So, what I say to you let you egg stabilize with the digiQ II running the show and hold off putting the meat in for another 40 to 60 minutes (in doing that you are achiving a couple things 1 the egg will stablize and 2 the lump will be burning clean). Then put the meat in. Tim
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    I see you have been using your egg for about 5 months I assume you know how the set your vents for the digiQ II cook. How is it going? Do you have any pic's yet? :) Tim

000_1539.jpg

000_1540.jpg

000_1542.jpg

000_1549.jpg

000_1550.jpg
  • otisdog
    otisdog Posts: 187
    Options
    Make sure the fan damper is set properly. Too wide open gives too much air and too much heat.
  • WhackMaster719
    Options
    So with the digital assistance units you close the tops completely and just let the fan do all the work?
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Whacky, To answer your question no you don't close the daisy wheel all the way. It may be hard to see but you can slip a tooth pick in the vent holes in my daisy wheel. Also notice there is an adjustable damper on the 10 cfm pit viper as well. It has three lines on the slide. Mine is set open 1/3. Also these pic's are from a cook I did a while back. Tim :)
  • meech
    meech Posts: 5
    Options
    good day

thanks for all of the help -
    - i closed the daisy wheel damper almost completely and it seemed to do the trick
    -- the egg has been sitting at 223 for the last couple
    of hours
    -- also, i was not aware that the fan had an adjustable
    damper until today

thanks
    mitch
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Hope you cook turns out great Mitch. :) Tim