Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

egg top CI chimney cleaning question

Options
JohnB
JohnB Posts: 183
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK -- I'm in the process of doing a burn off of my egg. Its been up to 700, with the plate setter legs up, for about 30 min.

My cast iron topper/chimney is pretty grimy on the inside. Can I, after burping the BGE, just set this on the plate setter? If I do should I take the handle off of it first?

thanks in advance,

John

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    you can, but the grease and crud most likely will melt off the daisey and run onto your plate setter yucking it up! I would at least protect the PS with a piece of HD foil.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • ebrooker007
    ebrooker007 Posts: 156
    Options
    Unless it is giving you problems with turning the daisy wheel or something. I would not recommend cleaning it in the egg. It will rust from this point forward if you clean it this way. My five year old egg never rusted until about a month ago I decided to do a clean burn on it. It has rusted every since.
  • JohnB
    Options
    well... I went ahead and stuck it in there because it was so mucked up a have to bank it with a hand trowel to get the daisy wheel to turn.

I'm hanging it over the side of the PS, so hopefully most of the gunk will drip down into the lump.

Maybe I'll try to oil it down before it completely cools off to keep it from rusting?
  • maXim
    maXim Posts: 468
    Options
    Yup, that's what I did... just brush with vegetable oil the same way you would season a cast iron skillet!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    too late for you now, but I'm in the minority here that does not do the bake off for the very reason you stated. Instead an overnight soak in household ammonia followed up with a stiff brush in the morning and she'll be clean as a whistle! I've only had to clean mine 3 times in 10 years and still no rust!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JohnB
    Options
    well. I took a bike ride after I put the chimney in. When I got back the egg was down to about 350 so I took the chimney out. It was clean but rusty, so I'm assuming it was rusty under all the grease and muck. I took a wire brush and rubbed all the loose bits off, sprayed it with canola oil and put it back in the egg on the plate setter. I'll take it out when its cooler.

I cook on the egg about 4-5 out of 7 days a week, so the chimney was really gunked up.
  • Sundazes
    Sundazes Posts: 307
    Options
    I rarely use the daisy anymore. I regulate with the bottom vent. The only time i really use it is low and slows like the baby backs I did today.