Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

ribeye

HotwingkingHotwingking Posts: 183
edited 6:42PM in EggHead Forum
I have a 2.5 inch thick ribeye any cooking suggestions.
I have never cooked one this big!!! :woohoo:
·

Comments

• BigABigA Posts: 1,157
    cook direct at 500, depending on how well done you like it, sear for around 90 sec a side, then i shut down the grill and leave on for 5 min, cooks mine to meduim - to meduim well, most people on here are going to tell you that is way to done, but thats what i do B)
    ·
  • HotwingkingHotwingking Posts: 183
    Cool thanx!!! B)
    ·
  • with a really thick steak like that, cooking by searing alone will give you a charred exterior and a lot of "well done" surrounding a small medium-rare interior.

best approach is to divide and conquer.

a steak that thick is really a small roast. sear it, and separately roast it. or roast it, and then sear it.

see here for a coupla-few different approaches to the same problem
    >>> Trex/Xert/hot-tubbing
    ·
  • BigABigA Posts: 1,157
    stripstike - is right, i thought that said 1.5inch sorry you are going to want to cook them a little longer with the egg shut down, again depending on how you like your steak.
    ·
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    Cook til 120 I.T.Remove,rest enjoy! :)
    ·
    I must concur......WAY TOOO DONE ;)
    ·
    Just cook it.400 dome til 125 I.T. works! ;) Don't overcook it.Youn can always throw it back on a couple minutes for the squimish, but you cannot uncook anything. Always pull steak @ 120,rest,serve! B)
    ·