Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

newbie- What should I cook 1st?

BigAL
BigAL Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got my BGE and I have gone all over the net scrounging recipes, how to do's, and goodies. I am now on cooking info overload. I am leaning toward the old beer can butt chicken. So, what do you folks think should be the very first to get Egged in my back yard?

Comments

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Big Al,[p]I have had mine for just three weeks, but I can't suggest steaks strongly enough. Whether you choose ribeyes, new york strips, or even the sirloin that folks talk about here, there is simply no better food on earth in my humble opinion than a properly egged Medium Rare Ribeye. [p]I made some Sunday night and when you go to pick them up, the are literally falling apart at the marble seams in the meat. [p]I have also been thinking about those steaks almost non-stop for two days now. I am making more tomorrow night.[p]You have the rest of your life to learn to cook everything else. Make your week and have a nice 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inch thick ribeye or two (if you're having company).[p]Good luck, welcome, and enjoy!!
  • Big Al,[p]I just got my large BGE 3 days ago and the first night the Mrs. invited over a bunch of people. I have been known to do some good grillin' but usually from a weber, so I was a little apprehensive about putting my reputation on the line for all these people.... [p]Now, I am certain that beer butt chicken is good from the egg, but I did the dead simple spatchcock chicken from the naked whiz's site. It truly is dead simple and everyone raved about. Got numerous e-mails about the chicken the next day.[p]I have to admit, I have made beer butt chicken off a charcoal weber and never once did it come out as juicy as the spatchcock I cooked in my BGE. Give it a whirl - I am certain that you won't be disappointed!!![p]Bean town
  • Big Al, steaks like Mark said , but get em at least 1 1/2 if not 2 inch, choice or prime meat, and don't use no marinade, just some rub, course salt and pepper will do.

• Big Al,spatchcocked chicken, hands down, the first cook. Step by step pictoral on the nakedwhiz.com. It will blow yourself and guests away when you see what a difference cooking on the Egg makes compared to other cookers.

• StubbyQ
    StubbyQ Posts: 156
    You know steaks are the greatest. However that's virgin egg and you might want to take it easy on it for a couple of cooks. All that heat must have some effect on a new egg. After a few cooks open'er up. Too high and you'll weld the gasket closed. Stay below 700-750°.[p]Try chicken. Just about can't mess that up. Beer Butt, Spanek vertical roaster, Spathcock, your choice. 350° for about an hour and a half. Stick the polder in the inner thigh. Go for 180-185°.[p]
  • Jeez, I never heard of spatchcock but the day I brought my Egg home I wanted something quick & easy and hit on the idea of butterflying a chicken. Was stunned by how good & juicy it was. I can't explain why, but it was way better than if I'd used my previous Kamado-style cooker.