Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To Husk or Not to Husk

WhackMaster719
WhackMaster719 Posts: 307
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Doing corn on the egg tonight to with the some wings. Do you guys leave the husks on? What about soaking in water? I have seen someones pics of some beautiful corn in the husk with a piece of husk to tie it all together...

Comments

• Boilermaker Ben
    Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
    Where the heck did you find corn on the cob in May?

I like to pull the husk down, but not all the way off, and pull out the silk. Then pull the husks back up and tie them shut, and grill. Can be done direct or indirect.

When you've got the husk down, you can add all kinds of flavoring, like some soft butter flavored with herbs and garlic, or a spice blend, or even just tucking basil leaves inside so the husks (when closed up) hold them against the ear of corn.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    I leave mine in the husk...soak in water for about 30 minutes only if you think it's not really fresh, if it was just recently picked you can skip the soak...the silk just melts away...Enjoy, I'm jealous..
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    I've done it a lot of different ways, and like it best husked, soaked in salt water for 30 minutes, and then grilled direct. I'll usually paint it with some melted butter at the very end and hit it with a little season salt.

That said, I don't think there is any such thing as bad sweet corn, no matter how you do it.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • There was a huge bin of it at the grocery store today when I went in. Had to fight the soccer moms to get a couple of ears for dinner. My wife and kid LOVE corn.
  • I just did this last night.

Like BB says, soak in water for 30 mins, pull out the silk, throw on the egg.

I think mine were about 400 for about 30 mins - did some potatoes on skewers brushed with olive oil at the same time.

Good stuff. I did direct - not sure if that really matters.
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Hah, you've obviously never overcooked it by a long shot.

We had a friend over one day (pre-egg) and I had the grill full of meat, and couldn't fit the corn on. So I asked one of our guests to take care of the corn, and told him I had a pot of water coming to a boil on the stove. He, having never cooked corn any way other than on the grill, didn't know that corn should only be boiled briefly. I came back into the house 15 minutes later and asked if the corn was ready. "Oh, it should be done soon, I dropped it in the water as soon as you went out to the grill." It had been boiling for 15 minutes. It was pretty bad.
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Where do you live?!

To those who have responded...what does the 30 minute soak do? I've never soaked corn before cooking.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I peel away all but one layer of husk. I pull that back and remove the majority of the silk. Brush it with either a little melted butter or evoo, season, then pull the single layer of husk back over the kernels and tie with butcher twine. I find no benefit to soaking and can't notice the difference if I do it or not.

This gets just a little caramelization on the outer edges of a few kernels and you get the flavors of the egg.
  • Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    I've always been afraid of burning them.. How long do you leave them on and what temp?
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Oh that boiling story is funny/sad. I hate to waste good sweet corn.

Don't know about the others, but our season for good corn is so short that I just started soaking it to keep it from burning. The salt seems to help.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • I'm in Northern Virginia...
  • Fidel
    I turn them every few minutes until done. I poke a kernel to test for doneness. You can cook corn at just about any temp between 250 and 450, direct or indirect, so long as you pay attention to it.
  • Boilermaker Ben
    I like your new signature line, Fidel.
    Similar favorites of mine are:
    Why does "monosyllabic" have so many syllables?
    and
    Who was the insensitive jerk who put an "s" in the middle of the word "lisp"?
  • Thanks Fidel! Per your suggestion, I got the wings in a pot of 50/50 cider vinegar and water. Picked up a bottle of "Frank Red Hot, Sweet Heat BBQ" wing sauce and found a recipe for a honey glazed wing for the wife. Will post pics as things come together!
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Hmmm, I guess the question then becomes, "where is the corn from?" I'm guessing it ain't from Virginia. Hope it's good.
  • Fidel
    Just be careful not to boil them. Basically once the water just begins to show signs that it might want to boil you want to drain them and get them over the coals. You don't want them fully cooked in the vinegar.
  • Yeah, it didn't have any sort of a tag saying where it was from... I'll let you know how it turns out.
  • Will do. Thanks again. I'll let you know how they turn out!
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Mark,
    I'm a firm believer that you should err on the side of underdone, when cooking corn. Truly in-season corn around these parts (Midwest) is usually so sweet and juicy that cooking is practially optional. As long as it's warm, it's good. Cook it too long and it loses its sweetness and turns to mush.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Albertsons has sweet corn 5 for $1, and it is very good. I don't do anything but put it on the grill 30 minutes if indirect and 15 if its direct. The silk is much easier to remove after the corn is cooked. -RP
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Like most people I pull the husks back and remove most of the silks in doing this I also remove any bugs that have moved in. I also soak in salt water for a short time so when I tie the husks back they may retain a little water then when grilled they also get a little steamed. Adding butter and seasonings and trimming and using less husk are good as well. Sweet corn on the cob is very good. ;) :P Tim
  • About how long do you think it should take in a 400 dome egg direct?
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Ben in the mid summer we get corn from Olathe, CO and it comes with instructions to boil for only one minute. Its some pretty sweet stuff. -RP
  • Zyme
    Zyme Posts: 180
    NOT in West Lafayette apparently, BB!
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Fresh sweet corn is truly one of the joys of summer, isn't it, Randy?
  • Boilermaker Ben
    That is certainly clear. Around here (Chicago, actually), the fields have just been plowed in the past couple weeks. It's a LOOOOONG way to sweet corn.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    We have Florida sweet corn available now in our markets :woohoo:

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Boilermaker Ben
    That's fantastic. I didn't know that good corn was available this early, even in Florida. The transport distance from Florida to Chicago is so great that corn (notorious for it's short flavor-life) would be largely tasteless by the time it was purchased from a grocery store. There's a saying along the lines of "Start boiling your water before you go out to pick the corn". There is nothing like corn served moments after it is taken from the stalk. Man, I can't wait for July.
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    I spend a week fly fishing in Almont, CO every August, and really enjoyed egging the fresh Olathe Sweet Corn while I was there last year. They have a Sweet Corn festival in August, might try to go while I am up there this year just for some entertainment. Thankfully the corn is also in the stores in OKC in the summer!

http://www.olathesweetcornfest.com/
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    TOTALLY personal preferance.Egged corn is awesome any way you cook it. :)