Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2ND Egg large or medium

Options
APDHARLEY
APDHARLEY Posts: 48
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay the wife and I have decided that an additional BGE would be very useful. I currently have a large and love it. Just feel like when doing large quanities of meat and more than one course it would be better to have another egg to work on. SOOOO the $64 question is do I get a medium or go ahead and spring for the large. I know some pf you would suggest the XL egg but I have looked at them and think it's TOO big if there can be such a thing.
So those of you that own two let me know what you think.

DSC_0071.jpg

My current setup!

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I have a large, small & mini and love the combination and flexiblity they give. The small & mini are mobile enough to take camping, tailgating, neighbors, etc....
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    had 2 larges for a few years but when I got the small I feel I can do without the extra large. Both larges going at the same time only happens 3-5 times a year now.
  • Jasper
    Jasper Posts: 378
    Options
    I was thinking about the same thing recently. If we did get another egg, I think it would have to be another large. We have all the accessories that fit into a large so if we got another size, we'd have to buy all those accessories again. Plate setter, CI grid, raised grid, DO, etc.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    2 larges, all your accessories will fit both making things easier to swap around
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
    Options
    I have a large, and lately have been checking craigslist daily, looking for a small. The large/small combo seems about right to me.

I'd probably be buying another plate setter anyway, in case I wanted to go indirect on both eggs at the same time, and I've already got a small grid and CI grid for the spider, so...
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Im of the opinion that having all the Large eggcessories already is overrated. You can only use them in one egg at a time anyway. Sure, ou could use a platesetter in one and rig in the other, but like Pat said, that rarely happens.
    I have a Large and Small, and love it. I also have a used Med I picked up on the cheap but plan to sell it.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    It seems that when people ask the question "Should I start with an XL?" a lot of people say a large and small is the most versatile set up. The reasoning is that the main course can be done on the large, and the sides at a different temperature on the small.

If I recall correctly, 32 pounds of butt is the most someone did in a large. So unless you really do want to do 64 pounds of meat often, it seems like either a medium or small would be adequate.
  • brian j
    brian j Posts: 9
    Options
    you didn't mention how many people you normally cook for. if it's a lot i'd get another large.

personally for me and my situation (just cook for me and the wife) i'm getting a small to go with my large. i need something for rv'ing. :)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    theres more accessories than rig and platesetter, big dutch oven, pizza stone, turkey pan, casserole pan, paella pan, wok etc. a large and small is a good combo for me at home but i rarely even use the small, the large and large would work better for me at camp. as for the medium, out of the whole lineup i would discontinue the model :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    The second egg I bought was a large, the third was a small. I love that little guy. :)

Mike
  • ebrooker007
    ebrooker007 Posts: 156
    Options
    I would go with two larges unless you plan on traveling with it. When you need the extra capacity you have it. If your not traveling the pros by far put weigh the cons.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I have two large eggs and I have the adjustable rig and spider and wok and plate setter and pizza stone. For me two large eggs are interchangeable with all my eggcessories. Tim
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Man if i had the money to buy another one i guess i would go large. i have a large now and would like another one :)
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    APDHARLEY, I have 7 eggs, my first one was a large then we bought a large and a small (both at the same time) next. But if I had to have just 2 eggs it would be the large and the small. The small quickly gets up to temp which is one of it's best features along with being an incredible searing machine. We sear our steaks on it and then move them to the Large to finish cooking.

Ido have a mini that I love too. :)
  • APDHARLEY
    Options
    Very good point I had not thought of that! Having all of the accessories for one size will cut out the expense of buying new accessories for a different size.
  • APDHARLEY
    Options
    Really how cheap we talking abbout. Email me
  • pattikake
    pattikake Posts: 1,175
    Options
    I have two larges, that way I did not need to buy any asserories. One is for smoking one is for baking. I just love them both. I am thinking of buying a small sometime soon. That is what I did.

Patti
    Wichita, KS
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Noticed you do not have the egg feet under your egg and
    feel a need to advise you that just a paver block alone will not protect your table.
    As posted by an egghead that learned this lesson:

Flapoolmansscorchedtable1.jpg
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Bulldog Mom
    Bulldog Mom Posts: 242
    Options
    :laugh: Just bought my second egg last saturday and it was a medium. It's going to make a great addition to my Large egg. I needed the medium for just a slightly smaller cook. :cheer:
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Keith, I agree with loco_engr. Tim
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Options
    I have a Large/Medium combination and really like it. Both get a lot of use.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Dan,

Nice ;) I was scanning to see if anyone picked that up. :whistle:

I even put (4) felt pads under the paver, to add just another tiny air space and won't scratch the shelf too much. :lol:
  • Ala-Egg
    Ala-Egg Posts: 162
    Options
    My 2 cents: I have a large and a medium. Love them both, got the medium to take tailgating, races, picnics, all of the above, but I use it a ton at home. I actually use it at home more than my large, it is just my wife and I that eat off of the eggs, we have a 9 month old, but he isn't into egging just yet, but that will change in the near future. I have used both at same time and it is very handy. If I didn't need the medium to travel, would have probably went for 2nd large, but medium is a great size. Small would be better for travel, but the grate size was too small for me.