Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

baked beans

bean town griller
bean town griller Posts: 37
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I wrote yesterday with a problem matching the top and bottom of my egg. As suggested by some on this board, I adjusted the bands slightly and the fit seemed a little better. Still not an exact match of the upper and lower gasket, but I did a cook and no smoke seemed to leave the sides (as it did previously). Don't think the slight misalignment impacts cooking temps, etc. - so I am moving on... Thanks to all that helped![p]The reason I am writing today is I was hoping to get a good recipe for baked beans. I would like to make some to go with my cooks in the evening and while the cans are not bad, I really would like to do my own. I have experimented with the crock pot for baked beans, but none seem to come out just right. If anyone has a good recipe for use using the crock pot or otherwise to prepare baked beans, please let me know.[p]As a 3 day old owner of a large BGE I am loving it!!! Consecutive cooks each night and the menu is planned for when I get out of work tonight. I particularly like this board - it has helped me tremendously and given me a ton of great ideas.[p]Thanks,
Bean town

Comments

• Bean town griller, here goes...I'm not where I can take it right out of my recipe book...but just get you five different kinds of beans, navy, pinto, kidney, baby lima, and garbonzo, and drain and wash that junk off of em (your gonna add plenty of flavor yourself). Now cut in small dice a med onion and 1/2 med bell pepper. Put about 1 1/2 cups of ketchup and 1 cup of cane syrup (sorghum). put the following to taste, tobasco, salt, pepper, worchester sauce, and liquid smoke (if your not gonna cook in egg). Bake at 350 covered with foil for about 2 hrs, making sure to not let dry out. Before you put in oven make sure is has plenty of liquid or it is thin enough which will prevent it from drying out and allow a longer cook, or add water to it. Oh you can also fry some bacon or sausage or smoked sausage chopped up in it if you want.

• Chet,[p]Thanks for the recipe. I was wondering if I could prepare in the BGE... If I were to put a pot in the BGE do you recommend the same temp and time as an oven? Fully covered with foil? Also, should I place on inverted plate setter or directly on grill?[p]Thanks,
    Bean town

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Bean town griller,[p]I like the one linked below. Go Red Sox![p]Keep em Smokin,
    Jethro

[ul][li]Marv's[/ul]
  • Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    I'm pretty finicky about my beans. Canned ones are too mushy for my tastes, especially Great Whites or Northerns (whatever they're called). I prefer to make them from dried beans, navy beans being the bean of choice. To get them so they're tender, ya have to cook the heck out of them ... hours and hours, but it's worth it IMO.[p]I basically use the Better Homes and Gardens recipe, jazzed up a bit. I add about 8 oz. of tomato sauce, some dry mustard and play with the sweetening - varying amounts of brown sugar, molasses and sometimes adding maple syrup. I need to find a place that sells salt pork in chunks. I've only seen it in slices lately.[p]Just recently I've started doing them on the egg in my cast iron Dutch oven. Yummm. I've got a request to make some for a very large group (for me) of about 125+. My Dutch oven won't do for that, so I'm going to make them in crock pots and cycle portions through the egg in the Dutch oven. My feeling is that a short period of time in the egg, to pick up a bit of smoke flavor, should be sufficient.
  • Pakak
    "Canned ones are too mushy for my tastes, especially Great Whites or Northerns (whatever they're called)."[p]Oops - the Great Whites are a type of DRY beans I've found to be too mushy when cooked!
  • Charbon
    Charbon Posts: 222
    Bean town griller, I haven't tried scratch beans on egg yet but the only way to go is with a bean pot. 1 1/2 pounds dried beans either soldier, cattle, or marrow. Soak according to package, parboil for 2 minutes put one large chopped onion, pound of chopped bacon, 1/2 cup mollasis, cup of brown sugar, bay leaf and some yellow mustard at bottom of pot. Fill pot with beans and liquid to cover. This is the secret: Put in oven on bottom shelf at 210 degrees just before you go to bed. Beans will be done in AM for use next day. You will discover why some folks eat beans for breakfast. Good luck
  • Bean town griller, direct would be the way I would do it and use the same temp , but check after 1 hour to be sure it's not drying out. If you foiled it , I believe plenty of that smoke would find it's way in there ,so I would use the foil and put an extra chunk of hickory or two.

• Pakak,[p]Thanks for the recipe. You cover the dutch over in the BGE thru the whole cook? Also, how long and at what temp?[p]Thanks,
    Bean town

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,738
    Bean town griller, i find that the water in newengland causes the beans to be slightly chalky tasting and dont soften well when cooking. to get them to come out right they must be thoroughly softened before adding any ingrediants to them.soak for 24 hours, change the water, bring to a boil with 1 teaspoon of baking soda, simmer for about 30 minutes, and cool. then proceed with any recipe. bean pots are the way to go. http://potshopofboston.com/ i can fit 2-3 1.25 quart pots in while doing a pork butt. the recipe that comes with the pot is good, however i alter it by using 1/3 each of red beans, yellow eyed beans and kidney beans and a little more sugar and worcestershire sauce to the recipe.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Pakak
    No, I left the beans uncovered most of the time while in the egg. It all depends on the consistency you like. By adding the tomato sauce, molasses and/or maple syrup, there's a lot of liquid I like to thicken up. The temp should be about 300-325°. AND - I did mine indirect with a plate setter. Whenever you want to mimmick an oven, go indirect. I don't think you want to be scraping burnt beans off the bottom of your Dutch oven (or whatever you're using).[p]
    How long? I've only made them in the Dutch oven once and it seemed to take longer than in the crockpot. I didn't write down the time, but I'd allow 24 hours. If they thicken up too much, you can always add a bit of water. The beans take a long, long time to get tender. Mine turn out looking very, very dark brown. Oh yeah - you SHOULD soak your beans overnight before cooking. So, this obviously takes some preplanning![p]Add an onion in there too. I didn't mention that.

• Bean town griller,we do baked beans frequently in the Egg...it adds a lot of flavor. In a dutch oven indirect, leave the top off or askew so the smoke can get in. With foil covering a pot, I punch holes in the foil for smoke penetration.The Egg will hold a lot more moisture in the beans than you are used to with other means of cooking... but I still check it.