Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

advice on first cook

KB
KB Posts: 144
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had my egg for 3 weeks now and this Saturday I will finally have a chance to heat it up for the first time. I've been traveling and working late each day so I am anxious to light a fire in it.

My spouse isn't crazy about the my Large BGE. In fact, she told me we didn't need it because the 20 year old Weber kettle still works. So if it wasn't for her disapproval, I wouldn't be asking your advice. I'd just experiment and have fun. Instead, the pressure is on.

I'm hoping you can recommend something good for the first main dish that involves chicken or pork (she doesn't eat beef). I have one of those stainless cones that stand up a chicken. I have the place setter and a DigiQ DX with a fan.

It would be nice, too, if I could cook veggies and fruits at the same time (I have a recipe already for the sides).

Comments

• Minx
    Minx Posts: 7
    SPATCHCOCK!

And as a colleague of mine likes to say: "just don't mess it up.." :)
  • KB
    Ill look that one up.
  • KB
    for removing the bird from the grill?
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Minx,

Not for nothing but you may want to edit that.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Having been in your shoes just 2 weeks ago, don't be nervous about setting it up and lighting the lump. My cousin recommended cooking a chicken on the tower. I did 2 and they came out great. I cooked for 2 hours on 300 and put a 1/2 can of beer underneath for added flavor. You really can't go wrong.
    Good luck and happy egging!!!!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Thanks.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Beer butt or spatchcocked chicken. Easy, tender, moist.
    Mike
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    I have a great recipe for panko parmesan crusted spatchcocked chicken. If you want the recipe let me know and I'll email it. :)
  • KB
    thanks. What did you marinate it in, or did you? I got some rub in a package with the egg, but I would be willing to buy something else for a marinate if it would be special.
  • boston_stoker
    boston_stoker Posts: 794
    Welcome to the forum! Here is the recipe for Spatchcock Chicken.

If you need a rub, try Dizzy Pig.

Don't forget to post some pics.
  • KB
    please do. My wife is somewhat of a food snob. She buys Parmesan Reggiano and grates her own. I am posting this with plans of doing the prep tomorrow night and the cooking will be on Saturday.
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    I'm the exact same way. The fresh grated Parmesan Reggiano would be great in this recipe.
    Do you know how to spatchcock a chicken or do I need to send the info on how to do that?
  • Carolina Q
    I haven't used this marinade with a whole chicken (yet), but Molly (Cookn Biker) suggested I marinate a whole one in a Goya product called Mojo Criollo. It's available in the stores around here (CT) and she can get in CO so I'm guessing it's everywhere. For a whole chicken, she recommended, as I recall, 48 hours! Though I may have that wrong. Long time in any case.

What I did do was marinate chicken thighs for 3-4 hours. Cooked them raised direct at about 375, turning occasionally. Used cherry chips for smoke. I have to say that was THE best chicken I have cooked on the egg! Just the BEST!!

This is the cook...

4101269668_d474558f9d_b.jpg

I don't think you will be disappointed. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Car Wash Mike
    Have you ever injected with Creole Butter? That Mojo Criollo is very good to.
    Mike
  • Carolina Q
    Never injected anything with anything. :) Keep meanin' to buy an injector!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• KB
    I'd have to look up the Spatchcock chicken and I can if you don't have anything handy.

Thanks for your help. I will take some photos if it turns out and post them here.
  • Car Wash Mike
    The Creole Butter comes with a small one. Give it a shot. I am going to start injecting just about everything with different items.

Mike
  • KB
    that looks great!
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Even if it doesn't turn out, take pics. Post them and the veterans here can help you figure out what you did wrong. I can try and help but I am not even close to being a veteran(egg veteran that is). That being said, a spatchcock chicken is the way to go for the first cook.
  • KB
    that seems to be the consensus - Spatchcock will be the first cook. That's why I posted here to take advantage of all the experience here.
  • Minx
    Minx Posts: 7
    KB wrote:
    that seems to be the consensus - Spatchcock will be the first cook. That's why I posted here to take advantage of all the experience here.

You are most welcome :). Best of luck - spatchcock is nearly impossible to screw up. Cook some beets with it BBQ'd bets are great.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Didn't read all the post close but also you really need to get a thremometer of some sort. One of the remote ones from Charmglow that Home Depot has works great and I have had mine over two years now with a couple cooks on it! ;) The only "trick" to a spatchcock or beer can bird it the meat temp. I say trick as everyone has there idea of "done but juicy". I like mine about 140-145 coldest part of the breast but there will still be some pink around thigh and drum bones which turns my wife instantly off so I cook it on up to about 150. Egg or no Egg the longer you cook it thought the dryer the breast espically will be.
  • KB
    Do you cut it in half to cook it and place it on a stand so that it appears to be standing up?
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    If you are doing spatchock just lay it flat on the grill using platesetter. If beer can of course don't cut the back bone out. Just shove the beer can on stand up him. Hears a link: http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=486408&catid=1
  • JLOCKHART29 wrote:
    If you are doing spatchock just lay it flat on the grill using platesetter. If beer can of course don't cut the back bone out. Just shove the beer can on stand up him. Hears a link: http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=486408&catid=1

I disagree. 350 direct.

Great instructions on nakedwhiz.com. Go check it out.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Nobody cares.

And N.W. will be the first to tell you there is more than one way to do things.
  • Here are the detailed instructions. Like I said, dead easy. 350 direct is the way to go.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm

I'd skip the 2 days uncovered in the fridge. Crispy skin is good but having an uncovered raw chicken in your fridge for two days is gross.

Best of luck!
  • KB
    I might have to delay one week. It's supposed to frost here in Minnesota Saturday night. If it's just cool I'll go ahead with my plans. But rain will stop me.
  • KB wrote:
    I might have to delay one week. It's supposed to frost here in Minnesota Saturday night. If it's just cool I'll go ahead with my plans. But rain will stop me.

Some friendly advice: Suck it up & get 'er done!!

:) I kid. I'm a fair weather egger too. :)