Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

smoke stack

ZippylipZippylip Posts: 4,318
edited 6:32PM in EggHead Forum
While walking around Waldorf stuffing myself with meat, I really wanted some veggies, so this is what came to mind on Saturday. Today, I had a chance to actually make it. Essentially it’s a vertical cylindrical veggie lasagna with caramelized onion & smoked sausage gravy (had to put some meat in it :laugh: ). The vision also required fabrication of a one-off giant sheet of pasta:

Couple sweet potatoes:

IMG_4498.jpg

Mash’m after baking:

IMG_4499.jpg

Grill some squash & zucchini:

IMG_4502.jpg

Garlic fry some spinach & hot pepper flakes:

IMG_4500.jpg

Roll out some fresh pasta sheets:

IMG_4492.jpg

Fuse & roll together:

IMG_4493.jpg

Cut to size to fit into a sheet pan:

IMG_4494.jpg

Fill the pan with water & put over two burners:

IMG_4495.jpg

Carefully put the giant sheet in:

IMG_4496.jpg

Drain, cease the cooking with cold water, dry, & place on a well oiled sheet of heavy duty foil:

IMG_4503.jpg

Spread on the mashed sweet potatoes:

IMG_4504.jpg

Add the other veggies:

IMG_4505.jpg

Drain some whole milk ricotta (this began draining 48 hours ago):

IMG_4497.jpg

IMG_4506-1.jpg

Roll it up:

IMG_4507.jpg

Pop in the oven at 400 for about 45 minutes while you are making the gravy, which begins with caramelizing a giant onion:

IMG_4511.jpg

Smoke some Italian sausage:

IMG_4509.jpg

Remove the onions, make a quick roux:

IMG_4512.jpg

IMG_4513.jpg

Add the onions & sausage:

IMG_4518.jpg

Remove the stack from the oven:

IMG_4514.jpg

Cut it, & drizzle with the gravy:

IMG_4522.jpg

IMG_4520.jpg

IMG_4519.jpg

It was a lot of play, and it was a lot of tasty too :cheer:
·

Comments

• BacchusBacchus Posts: 6,019
    DUDE!
    ·
  • ZippylipZippylip Posts: 4,318
    what's up Ron, how've you been?
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,283
    Marc,

Awesome combination of flavours man! You drain ricotta for 24 hours?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    the combination was strangely nice; & normally I don't drain it, but trying to keep this thing tight with all the veggies in it I didn't want to aggravate it with sloppy ricotta, so over 48 hours a 15 ounce tub lost about 3-4 ounces of liquid, & it was still too damn wet... but tasty nonetheless, especially the bottom of the roll that kind of had a fried edge to it
    ·
  • >emoticon for :speechless:
    ·
  • FlaPoolmanFlaPoolman Posts: 11,670
    I'm not even gonna save that one because I know I'm too dang lazy to even attempt it but I will spring for a ticket up there next time you do :whistle: :evil:
    So Marc,, just how far are you from the Philly airport :woohoo:
    ·
    this was one of those days we spoke of, saw a gap, jumped into it, enjoyed it
    ·
  • Frank from HoumaFrank from Houma Posts: 5,755
    Dang Zippy!! That's amazing.
    ·
    hahahaha, hey, I was in old philly today, first time in a little while, was good to be there, while in City Hall someone told me Robert De Niro was outside shooting a scene for a movie, not sure if that was so, I didn't see him, would've liked to however
    ·
    thanks Frank, it was good, & a lot of fun to make
    ·
  • damn, genious, zip, pure genious, especially the noodle treatment!!
    ·
    thanks Max, it was great to see you too last weekend, it's always a pleasure. And tell spawn, when I finally got over to the brownie display, it was picked cleaner than a mad max turkey carcass in November, however, when I looked in the pan, somehow, some way, about a 1/4 pound hunk of "corner" was just sitting there, untouched, unmolested, almost as though it isn't the best damn part of the whole tray. Needless to say I chisled that thing down myself like a hungry lion that hadn't killed an unwitting antelope in 3 weeks, so, thanks
    ·
  • Susan EgglaineSusan Egglaine Posts: 2,430
    Are you an alien? :laugh: :laugh:
    Your stuff is out of this world :ohmy: :ohmy:
    ·
  • good to see you too mark ... .and glad you got a chunk of the brownie. . .
    ·
  • DrZaiusDrZaius Posts: 1,481
    That looks amazing! I would try it but I am scared I will hurt myself. :P
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
    ·
  • popagar0popagar0 Posts: 136
    are you cooking at freds fest??? :woohoo:
    ·
  • reelgemreelgem Posts: 4,256
    Marc that is amazing!!! I can only imagine how great it tasted. The things you come up with are unbeliveable.
    ·
  • Misippi EggerMisippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Great job, Zip. Very creative ! :woohoo:
    ·
  • Car Wash MikeCar Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    OMG, what a cook. Very sweet.

Mike
    ·
  • FluffybFluffyb Posts: 1,815
    :woohoo: Wow! You've got to enter that piece of delicious art in a Food Network contest. You'll surely win!
    ·
  • BacchusBacchus Posts: 6,019
    Doing good Zipster. Miss ya man!!
    ·
  • op2kop2k Posts: 62
    Wow, nice pictoral...and I'll bet it was tasty as all get out. I would need a whole day free from the family to even have the time to do a cook like that!
    ·
  • JLOCKHART29JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Just a great job Zipp!! Always look froward to one of your cooks as I know its going to be different!! You growing peppers this year?
    ·
  • HungryManHungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Where do you come up with this stuff? How are you so skinny? When will you open Zippy's Restaurant?
    ·
  • Clay QClay Q Posts: 4,418
    A lot of play is time well spent. Hope your keeping all postings documented - I see a cookbook in your future. :woohoo:
    Impressive...and the gravy, that's just awesome.
    ·
  • Boilermaker BenBoilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
    Woah. That's...outstanding. Good cook!

You know which pic had my mouth watering the most, though? The onions. There's just nothing like good caramelized onions. Onions are God's gift to me.
    ·
  • roosterrooster Posts: 252
    unreal!!!!
    ·
  • mcdrawmcdraw Posts: 89
    Zip

Very creative. I almost never work with dough except for pizza. What's the purpose of cooking over cold water? To make it a lttle more pliable and moist for the rest of the cook?
    ·
  • mcdraw, fresh pasta dough cooks extremely fast. That sheet was in the pan of boiling water for maybe 3 or 4 minutes before it was done. If I were going to eat it right away, I would just serve as is, however, if it is not going to be eaten right away, you must stop the cooking with cold water, otherwise it will continue to cook & turn to mush. When the window of cooking time is this short, any carryover cooking can ruin the pasta. Also, if I were to have just removed it from the boiling water without submerging in cold water, it would have wanted to stick to everything once it dried off a little. Keeping it in cold water until you are ready to go to the foil (in this case) keeps it cooked perfectly and not sticking to everything. Since it was going to into an oven to heat through once fully constructed, it did not have to remain hot the entire time.
    ·
  • RipnemRipnem Posts: 5,511
    Brilliant! :woohoo:
    ·