Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Discontinuing Nomex?

Options
berrygood
berrygood Posts: 372
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
SIAP, but is BGE discontinuing the nomex gasket?

I was talking to the master distributor in my area, and she claims that BGE has discontinued the nomex gasket, claiming to have found the problem with the OEM gasket, which is/was the adhesive.

Anyone else hear this?

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    The adhesive was an issue on the older gaskets which was resolved. But the new Nomex IS the replacement along with using 3M 77 spray adhesive.
  • berrygood
    Options
    PhilsGrill wrote:
    The adhesive was an issue on the older gaskets which was resolved. But the new Nomex IS the replacement along with using 3M 77 spray adhesive.
    Thanks for the response, Phil. My dealer, however, claims that it is being discontinued. I was just wondering if anyone else had heard the same thing.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    It isn't all that hard to believe. I have felt gaskets from before all the adhesive problems occurred, and with reasonable care, they lasted a year or two in great shape, longer if you weren't too picky. They stuck to the Egg with no problem, and so far, no one has raised any safety issues with them. So, if that's true, I would think it would be a good choice for BGE to go back to the felt.
    The Naked Whiz
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Berry, I have not heard that and here is the number to call to verify. BGE (770)934-5300 or (770)491-7444 are numbers that I have called in the past to ask similar questions. Tim :)

I'm just saying if you would like to. Give them a call and if you can't get through leave a cell phone number for a call back because you will get called back and post the findings.
  • berrygood
    Options
    Thx for the responses guys. I'm gonna try Rutland next - didn't have much luck with the felt.
  • chrono
    chrono Posts: 177
    Options
    I just put on my new rutland gasket yesterday with high heat silicon. Looks like this might be the ticket. I used my torch to burn off any fuzzies and the main gasket didn't have any issue with the flame.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    The Nomex gasket is still available from BGE. Per Bruce B (I emailed him and asked). Sounds like the local distributor is jerkin' someone around.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BananaChipz
    BananaChipz Posts: 207
    Options
    Apparently BGE Canada won't be distributing them anymore. Their claim was the same as you stated.