Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Condensation on thermometer

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
only had egg for a week or so and the therm has some condensation on the inside, that happen to anyone or is mine defective?? I think we only had like one day of rain since I bought the thing

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Greg,
    I've had that happen. It goes away eventually and hasn't been a problem for me.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Unknown
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]cool, hasn't seemed to read incorrectly and thats what I was hoping to hear. I'm too stupid to remember to take it out and store it indoors every use...
    [/b]
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    greg,
    I leave mine out. It hasn't been a problem as far as I know.
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Greg,[p]Mine did the same thing the second day I had it. It's gone away since and not returned.
  • Inna Avrelina
    Options
    I had the same condensation problem with my first thermometer also. After about four months mine had gotten almost impossible to read so I had to replace it.[p]I got a second one but before installing it I went to the local auto parts store for some high temperature clear silicone seal. I did a bead around the outside edge of the glass and the metal and also did a second bead under the reading face at a place that looked like it might not be sealed also. That spot was between the face and where the stem goes into the egg. End of problem.
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Greg,[p]Wow, pretty amazed others are saying theirs goes away. I have had several thermos get moisture inside and that is a problem. They are never "suppose" to do that and unless you do something to prevent it from happening again - IT WILL if left out in the weather. My cookers use to live totally out in the weather and when one of those dome thermos allwed moisture in it would never be water tight after that. The moisture gets down into the tube and after a while it gets to the point where it no longer works over the range needed to be useful. Sure, you can calibrate them to 212° but it would read 105 at room temps and who knows what at 500°. Mainly it would just fog up again if left out in the rain. Most of my thermos don't leak and they are not suppose to.[p]Hey, they cost under a dollar (wholesale)so they can't be too high on the quality scale. I have found that once they leak they will always continue to do so and they get worse and not better over time. [p]Tim
  • UnConundrum
    UnConundrum Posts: 536
    Options
    AlanP,[p]I wonder if that would interfere should you ever want to calibrate it....
  • Inna Avrelina
    Options
    One problem at a time please.[p]
  • Unknown
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    This is easy to cure. Just place the whole thermomter in your household oven at 250 for a few hours (if the lense is glass). The moisture will turn to steam and leave the insturment. Often, over time the leak will seal itself and the problem will go away.
    Even Temps, Shotgun Fred

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Greg,
    i drilled a hole on the bottom of the rim of the thermometer.[p]it let out the water that was in it, and also equalised the air in it with what was outside.[p]haven't had the problem since

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante