Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's on your Mother's Day menu?

Car Wash Mike
Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I really enjoy cooking for my parents. Mom requested kabobs, dad just meat. :)

Throw in some crab stuffed prawns or scampi.
053.jpg

And twice baked taters.
002-5.jpg

Or do most of you go out?

Mike

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    My mother is looking down from above, but I usually make a rack of ribs for my daughter's Mother(even though divorced)sending it with her when she comes Sunday to pick her up.
  • In our family mothers day is about my wife. She's requested Eggs Benedict for breakfast, so thats what I'll do.

Doug
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    I have been requested to cook for my in-laws and a couple of the kids - about 7 people total. We are doing it Saturday night instead of Sunday. Probably go out after church Sunday for the wifey..... and visit my step mom/dad in the afternoon.

Saturday's cook - thinking about Drunk & Dirty Beef Tenderloin, smashed taters, & something green (sorry, Mike :sick: ). :laugh:

DSC_0373.jpg
  • Car Wash Mike
    That is nice of you Ron.

Mike
  • Car Wash Mike
    Sounds like a plan.

Mike
  • Car Wash Mike
    Good looking tenderloin. Green can be good, like watermelon. :) What do you think about fresh fruit for a side in the summer?

Mike
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
    There are lots of benefits to living near family. The drawback is that we never celebrate anything at home, and every holiday becomes a multi-day event with lots of scheduling, pre-planning, juggling and balancing. It's fine for Christmas and Thanksgiving and such, but on a day that I'd love for my wife to be able to relax and be served, she'll be stressed as hell.

We'll be visiting my parents on Saturday to celebrate with my Mom, and will be at the in-laws' on Sunday.
    For Saturday, I'm in charge of dessert, and will be making tres leches cake topped with whipped cream and strawberries (a la strawberry shortcake), served with mango ice cream.
    I haven't heard if I'll have any responsibilities for Sunday.
    I'll probably prepare a meal sometime next week (or perhaps tomorrow) for my wife. With all the talk lately about shrimps en brochette (a favorite of my wife), I'm thinking I might make that for her.
  • Misippi Egger
    A mix of different fruit chunks sounds refreshing as a side. You could also grill some fruit to use as a side or dessert alternative (peaches, pears, pineapple, etc.).
  • Car Wash Mike
    Shrimp sounds really good. We are kind of spread out. We all only get together about 6-8 times a year. Have a nice cook.
    Mike
  • Car Wash Mike
    Ice cold fresh fruit. I thought it did to. Will try this over the weekend.

Mike
  • Tarpon65
    Tarpon65 Posts: 205
    I'm smoking 2 - 8 lb pork butts for dinner on Saturday then turning around and cooking a 15 pound rib roast on Sunday for Mother's day. There will of course be ABTs ,baked beans, etc. cooked as well. I went and picked up 40 pounds of RO lump and went to my BGE dealer and picked up a raised grate and apple chunks for the cook. I'm not sure if the egg is going to be given a chance to even cool down this weekend.
  • Misippi Egger
    Sounds BUSY ! But like an Egg-feast !
  • Car Wash Mike
    Eggs not cooling down for an entire weekend is a good thing! When I got my first egg, dad brought me over a 35 qt cooler filled with meat, and said. "cook it for the 4th". No pressure, that was my first egg cook. Egg went non stop for about 48 hours.

Mike
  • jball
    jball Posts: 63
    I'm thinking NY strips & BBQ shrimp. Still working on the sides.

Jball
  • Car Wash Mike
    Sounds good. I am working on dessert now. Grilled pears with ice cream on the side or fresh strawberries. Hmmmmmmmmmm?

Mike
  • bayouegger
    bayouegger Posts: 287
    Going to boil some crawfish, 2 sacks about 80 pounds. And then peel some and make some pizzas. Funny thing is my Mom hates crawfish but we have so much other food she is fine!

crawfish.jpg

biggreenegg081.jpg

Hope everyone has a great Mother's Day weekend!

Steve
  • Car Wash Mike
    80 lbs. ? WOW. How long will that take and what do you boil them in?

Mike
  • bayouegger
    bayouegger Posts: 287
    Mike,

I have a 100 qt pot with a propane burner. It's going to take two boils to do 80 lbs. Waiting for the water to boil takes the longest time, once it's boiling with all your seasonings you put the crawfish in and once the water comes back up to a boil you turn it off. The longer you soak them the spicy they get. If you over cook them (which I've done in the past) it makes them hard to peel and they are mushy. To stop them from over cooking and just picking up the spice you can cool the water down with ice or spray the outside of the pot with a hose to cool it off.

crawfishboilingpot.jpg

Crawfish boils down here are a lot of fun. And like BBQ everyone and I mean EVERYONE has their way of doing it. I've lived in the New Orleans area now for 10 years and crawfish are now my favorite seafood!
  • Car Wash Mike
    Thx for the pics. I thought you must have a pretty big pot to boil that many in. AZRP does a boil (the name escapes me) that looks like a lot of fun.

Mike
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    I'm on my way Bayou!! YUM....
  • pattikake
    pattikake Posts: 1,175
    My sister and I both have to work a few hrs on Sunday, french toast for breakfast then probably leftovers later. I love crawfish, my sister would die before she ate them.

Patti
    Wichita ,KS