Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The BGE Rules

Options
Mark Backer
Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

I got an egg a couple of weeks ago and have cooked on it nearly every day since. I've made wings, chicken breasts, tenderloins, regular pork loins, I smoked a turkey, I made a flank steak,I've made ribs that won a neighborhood contest, but the best thing I've cooked so far is ribeyes.[p]Our local butcher had ribeyes for $13.99 a pound but if you bought a whole one, it was only 6.99 and they cut them for free.[p]I had been bragging about how good steaks turn out, but my company yesterday (while excited), were somewhat skeptical. [p]I explained the egg, they got the tour, I cooked these beasts at 750 for 3 minutes per side, then shut the vents for 5 and a half minutes. [p]The steaks were so perfect, I was tempted to run down the deck stairs and sneak into the basement and eat them all myself. But I was spotted, so I brought them in and we ate the best steaks I have ever prepared in my 20 or so years of cooking steaks, and they were exactly the same as the ones I cooked a week ago. Amazing!![p]I look forward to years of perfectly cooked foods with the best flavor on the planet.[p]All hail the EGG!!![p](I have posted under the name Berger, but since my wife is commandiering that name, I will for evermore be using the name I use when writing my racing columns, Mark Backer. To check out my nascar musings, see the link listed below).

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Put a title on that link, Mark! LOL.[p]Jim
  • Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    Options
    Mark Backer,[p]Supposedly there is an even better steak method called TRex involving a longer resting time, but I can't imagine waiting a minute more than the 3/3/4 technique you described. Plus, it is hard to imagine a better steak.[p]So, did your dinner guests admit that these were the best steaks they'd ever had? This is always the high point of an Eggsperience -- knocking the socks off the uninitiated.
  • Mark Backer
    Options
    Prof Dan,[p]Oh yeah. They absolutely loved them. Before we were done eating, my mom was calling my stepdad at home and telling him to "start saving your duckets, cuz you have to have one of these things."[p]I swear, watching someone eat their first egg meal and listening to them oooh and ahhhh is just the greatest.
  • Mark Backer
    Options
    JSlot,[p]sorry. Let's see if this works.[p]
    [ul][li]Mark Backer NASCAR columns[/ul]