Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beginner question

Newbie Posts: 33
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I never cooked with drip pan before. Does it go directly on the grid or on the coals? Thanks.

Comments

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Newbie,
    The drip pan goes directly on the grid. You can either use another grid to put your food above the drip pan, or use a v-rack sitting directly in the drip pan.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    nikkig, "You can either use another grid to put your food above the drip pan
    " is the better choice. Putting V racks or any rack or meats inside the proximity of a pan only deflects the heat around the meat. If you have the meat in air suspension, on a raised rack above the pan, then you will have less uneveness in the cook.
    C~W

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Char-Woody,
    hmmm...never knew that. Thanks for the tidbit of info. I personally never use a v-rack because things stick to them, and I hate cleaning them. Most of our cooking is done on a raised grid, and when I ned a drip pan, I just slide one on the lower grid.[p]~nikki

• nikkig,[p]If you need indirect heating, I strongly suggest the plate stand available thru BGE. We got one this weekend and it worked great for JSLOT's ribs. [p]